How to Export reports into Excel or CSV format

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
[email protected]

How to Export reports into Excel or CSV format

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 14, 2015 7:29 am

I am unable to find any feature which provides facility to export reports into Excel or CSV to show results to people outside Ranorex.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: How to Export reports into Excel or CSV format

Post by odklizec » Thu May 14, 2015 9:44 am

Hi,

There is no built-in functionality to export Ranorex reports to Excel or CSV. However, since Ranorex "script" is basically full .Net, you can code almost anything you want ;) Ranorex API allows you to create your own report in whatever format you want. It would just require some serious coding from your side.

In my opinion, if you want to share reports with other people, the easiest way is to set Ranorex to create reports in compressed format, which basically compress necessary report files to zip with extensions rxzlog.

You can rename the "rxzlog" extension to "zip" and send that zipped file to anyone you want. Now there are two ways to make the recipient to read the reports. They will either to have to installed the Ranorex Report viewer (the you don't have to rename rxzlog to zip) or the recipient needs to extract the content of zip file and rename .rxlog file to .html and .rxlog.data to html.data. Then the recipient can open the HTML file in any web browser. All this would be much easier than to create your own report ;)

For more details about sharing report files, check for example these posts:
http://www.ranorex.com/blog/share-your- ... ny-browser
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/send-mail- ... 56-30.html
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 14, 2015 9:52 am

Here is my point of view :)
1) If i need to code so much to generate simple report then why i need to purchase paid tool. I can do same thing with selenium or other open source:) Correct?

2) Export report in Excel or CSV will provide us a flexibility for data analysis and bug trends.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu May 14, 2015 10:07 am

OK, here is my counter view ;) I seriously doubt you can do the same level of automation with Selenium and other open source tools, including report output.

In my opinion, the Ranorex report output provided is already good enough for most people using Ranorex. And if it's not, there is always a possibility to extend/modify it or write completely new report! But I'm afraid, it's impossible for Ranorex folks to create Report in various formats to cover all specific customer needs? This is why there is an option to create report in format you want. But this, of course, requires some coding.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 14, 2015 10:13 am

I have already work on selenium and able to code to export my results in excel very well. And generally good tool provides to export or convert your file into couple of popular formats which includes HTML/CSV/EXCEL or can be PDF sometimes.

It's not only about automation tool. You just name any other popular tool whether it is screen and video capture or paint brush or now days you can print and save your document into PDF format.

So it's my view :) without any counter;).

Although i like very much Ranorex.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu May 14, 2015 10:45 am

Fair enough. If you try to search this forum, you may find several posts suggesting the ways to export Ranorex reports to PDF. I'm not quite sure about CSV/Excel.

Additionally, you can find several Ranorex blog posts describing Ranorex integration with major CI and test management tools, like Jenkins or Testlink...
http://www.ranorex.com/blog/integrating ... -jenkins-2
http://www.ranorex.com/blog/make-your-r ... sing-xunit
These posts could help you with making your managers happy.

PS, I understand that reports in various formats are kind of important for managers and stakeholders, but honestly, I as automation engineer could not care less ;) For me, it's much more important the reliability and stability of automation and the ability to find and debug problems listed in reports. And this is what Ranorex covers quite nicely. But who knows, maybe one day I will search for similar conversion like you? :)
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration