How to get ControlID?

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
itamarc

How to get ControlID?

Post by itamarc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi, I want to test our GUI application. We use our controls in the main form, and I don't know how to get them.
I want to try to get them with ControlId but I saw that it isn't fix, and it changed all the time.
so my question is: in your RanorexSpy how do you get the Control ID of the controls?

webops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webops » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:09 am

Handle, Class name and ControlId are old properties of windows controls.
Use these properties only if you want to automate an old windows application.

In .NET applications the ControlId is different every time you launch the form, so you cannot use this as your identifier. The class name is also dynamically generated.
Use the ControlName property to find a control in a .NET application.

A ControlName is a unique identifier in a .NET form and a ControlId is a unique identifies in older windows applications or dialogs.

Jenö Herget
Ranorex Team

koovaj

Re: How to get ControlID?

Post by koovaj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Does all Windows controls have the "ControlName" property? For example, using Ranorex Spy on a button does not show the ControlName property. See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ciege

Re: How to get ControlID?

Post by Ciege » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

koovaj wrote:Does all Windows controls have the "ControlName" property? For example, using Ranorex Spy on a button does not show the ControlName property. See attached.
Only controls that both support the ControlName property AND have the ControlName property set by the developer will have a valid Control Name that you can access.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...