How to I create a new test case

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
conradb

How to I create a new test case

Post by conradb » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:53 pm

I created 4 recordings and at now I have a test which I can run and just arrange the 4 recordings. fine.
I wanted to create a new test and add more recordings, so I added a new project, and referenced the repository form the first project in my new one to remove need to define all the controls again... but now I'm unable to add a new test in my new project. The option is disabled/unavailable to me.

Confused by the semantics.
pros:Powershell automation guru
cons:UI automation hacker/n00b
Conrad Braam

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to I create a new test case

Post by Support Team » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello conradb,

Welcome to Ranorex!

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what is meant by:
but now I'm unable to add a new test in my new project
May I ask you to rephrase your issue with using the correct Ranorex terms of the individual components, e.g. Project, TestSuite,TestCase etc. ?

Further information about the TestSuite structure can be found here: http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... suite.html

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely
Robert

conradb

Post by conradb » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks Rob, yes I was aware my question was poorly phrased or put.

I got handed a "non-working" project, so I skipped a few bits of the learning curve to try get it working quickly, but completely broke the project by copying a recording and pasting it and modifying the copy to add a new wizard step. So now am starting a solution completely from scratch now as a result just to learn the Ranorex lifecycle from the beginning. I probably needed to read through the guide a second time. I also started out using calc.exe as my test app, since its simpler than the keypass which slightly frustrated me when the version I had of keypass did not match the tutorial I was following.

So:
a repository = UI element container
a recording = a module?
a project = test suite?

Can a project have more than one "script" or set of recordings in it? That was what I was trying to do I think.

Conrad Braam
pros:Powershell automation guru
cons:UI automation hacker/n00b
Conrad Braam

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:01 pm

As a note, you can't really do a lot of copy/past with whole modules, variables, etc., in Ranorex because Ranorex uses GUIDs behind the scenes to uniquely identify objects. Copying these around will cause you no end of headaches because Ranorex won't know what object really goes where.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 am

Hello Conrad,
Can a project have more than one "script" or set of recordings in it? That was what I was trying to do I think.
A Ranorex solution can contain multiple (TestSuite) projects, the TestSuite is more or less the main container of your recording/code modules. All modules can be group in so-called TestCases. A TestSuite can contain multiple TestCases, a TestCase can hold multiple recording/code modules.

I hope this answers your question :)

Sincerely,
Robert