How to make Ranorex wait for a process

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
Vanderson

How to make Ranorex wait for a process

Post by Vanderson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Hello to All,
I'm new in Ranorex and I've learning with support articles, webinars and forum.
I have one big doubt: I have one web application and i am recording step by step an automation process in this application. This application have one process of setup (validate title, next, validation title, next, validation title, next...) but one step i have one discovery step of devices. My doubt is: In this discovery step, I need to stop and wait this task finish to proceed the another setup step. This process of wait may vary, sometimes 15 seconds sometimes 1 min or more.

My question is: Can we use a "trigger" to progress the test? How to make Ranorex wait for one process end to progress the test?
This step of discovery the screen have one hour glass and at the end, this picture change to a tick mark. I've tried to use "Wait for" and "Delay" actions unsuccessful to make the Ranorex wait for a period to continue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Vanderson Araujo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards,

Vanderson Araujo

Vega

Re: How to make Ranorex wait for a process

Post by Vega » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Do you have some kind of progress dialog or dialog when the task completes in your AUT? If so you can definitely use a Wait For action to have Ranorex wait until the task is complete. You could either do Wait For Not exist on the progress dialog (wait for the dialog to disappear) OR you could do a Wait for exist on a success dialog that lets you know the task is complete. Here is a simple breakdown:

Wait for not exist -> progress dialog
or
Wait for not exist -> loading icon
or
Wait for exist -> success or completetion dialog

And if those do not work, you could use a wait for action to wait for an attribute of the dialog to equal something specific. Such as if I have a progress dialog that counts the progress from 1% -> 100%, you can Wait for attribute equal 100%. You can find more information about wait for in the user guide:

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... s/#Waitfor

Code: Select all

Wait For action

Summary:	Waits for a specified UI state to occur.
Type:	Smart action
Variables possible:	Yes
Linkable to repository:	Yes, required

Description
Waits until a defined state is reached within a specific time. Several different Wait-for types are available.

Exists
Waits for the referenced repository item to exist within a specified timeout (column Timeout). The timeout can be bound to a variable.

NotExists
Waits for the referenced repository item to stop existing within a specified timeout (column Timeout). The timeout can be bound to a variable.

AttributeEqual
Waits for an attribute (column Match name) of the referenced repository item to equal a specified value (column Match value) within the specified timeout. Match name and match value can be bound to variables. Available attributes changed depending on the repository item. If the values don’t match within the timeout, the action fails.

Configure the timeout in the action’s properties (Wait timeout). It can be bound to a variable.

AttributeNotEqual
Waits for an attribute (column Match name) of the referenced repository item to stop being equal to a specified value (column Match value) within the specified timeout. Match name and match value can be bound to variables. Available attributes changed depending on the repository item. If the values don’t stop matching within the timeout, the action fails.

Configure the timeout in the action’s properties (Wait timeout). It can be bound to a variable.

AttributeContains
Waits for an attribute (column Match name) of the referenced repository item to contain a specified value (column Match value) within the specified timeout. Match name and match value can be bound to variables. Available attributes changed depending on the repository item. If the attribute doesn’t contain the match value within the timeout, the action fails.

AttributeNotContains
Waits for an attribute (column Match name) of the referenced repository item to stop containing a specified value (column Match value) within the specified timeout. Match name and match value can be bound to variables. Available attributes changed depending on the repository item. If the attribute doesn’t stop containing the match value within the timeout, the action fails.

hope this helps