How to modify time for searching of element?

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
lunarro

How to modify time for searching of element?

Post by lunarro » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm using test runnner for browsing automation on multiple web pages.
My test case contains steps where - according to expectations - some elements cannot be found on some pages.

I set search timeout for 3000ms. but test runner is still waiting 1minute every time when cannot find every mentioned element...

Can you tell me how can i change this waiting treshold?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krstcs

Re: How to modify time for searching of element?

Post by krstcs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:22 pm

You only changed the default time for NEW objects.

To change the time for existing objects, select the object in the repository and hit the "F4" key. This will open the object properties pane. You can change the search timeout there.

You can also do it in code with the <Object>Info.SearchTimeout property.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

lunarro

Post by lunarro » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

I noticed that prefs affects only new items but there was no other values in the code so i was stuck.
Trick with F4 is nice surprise for me :)

mos

Post by mos » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:49 pm

I have a similar problem with this. At the moment the effective timeout is set 1.5m so that's the time the recorder is looking for that element. Search Timeout is at 30s (don't even understand the search timeout since it's actually looking on effective timeout). If I set the Search Timeout to 1ms, the effective Timeout is still 1 minute.

Why is effective timeout read-only? It would be nice to have the ability to search for something just a few seconds. If its not there within a few seconds, move on (continue on fail). This seems to me a rather important feature to have but unfortunately I seem not to find a solution for this.

I tried to have a look at the coding bit but unfortunately I couldn't figure it out. I'm no developer so I have no idea about this.

It would be really handy to be able to set the effective timeout. Any particular reason why that's not possible?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi,

You can't change the "Effective Timeout", because it's the sum of search timeouts of given repository item and all its parents. In other words, it's a combined timeout.

See this screenshot:
EffectiveTiemout.png

If you wan to change the "Effective Tiemout", select all parents of given repo element (using mouse Ctrl/Shift+ mouse click in repository editor) and then edit "Search Timeout" of all selected items in Properties pane. This will immediatelly change the Effective Timeout of element in question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mos

Post by mos » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you very much for that!

Aabharan

Post by Aabharan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 am

Thanks for the great help, i was wondering about the same issue and finally i got my solution here. :)