How to pass license from Studio to Agent

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
Kamil Grabiec

How to pass license from Studio to Agent

Post by Kamil Grabiec » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am

Hello Community,

I try to run my tests on Virtual Machines by Ranorex Agent. I like to manage it from my physical PC and Ranorex Studio.
Probably I'm doing something wrong, please help me.

1. I instal Ranorex Studio on my local PC
2. I instal Ranorex license manager on server. My local Ranorex studio was able to pull license
3. At Ranorex Studio I set up Settings->General->"Copy runtime to output"
4. By VirtualBox I created Virtual machines but now:
When I try to find my agent at Studio I was unable to find it. Agent was asking for license. So I'm thinking that it cannot copy my runtime license from Studio. I'm thinking that it should be able to find agent when I have just one license. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Other team in my organization have second Ranorex license. So I connect my agent with this second license and studio with my own. Then I was able to find my agent.

Please help me to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: How to pass license from Studio to Agent

Post by odklizec » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, remote agent needs a separate license. So you need a license for Studio and another (preferably Runtime) license for remote agent. So if you are currently have only two Studio licenses, you should either consider buying some runtime licenses or you will have to use that second Studio license while running tests remotely. I would strongly recommend to buy some runtimes ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration