How to Read Excel sheet per test suite level

Ask general questions here.
pansujit

How to Read Excel sheet per test suite level

Post by pansujit » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Hello,
I am new to Ranorex tool. I am working on desktop and Web application. First of all I would like to present my scenario.
testsuite hello:
testcase1 :open the browser and using url download application.(excel data)
testcase2 :Install application.(excel data)
testcase3:perform tests.
testcase4: uninstall application.

In that scenario, I have to download another application when all the above steps are executes(no matter pass or fail). I am using inbuild Excel connector for data reading (for download and install).
I have a problem with excel data reading because after testcase "download application" lets say, repeat until the it finishes the all data in his dedicated row in excel sheet.
That is not my case, I would like to use one data for complete test suite for example (data=a ) for complete test suite and then after data=b and so on.

I don't get the point how to solve, this problem.
Please, If someone have idea and share with me would be great.

Thanking you
Sujit Pandey

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to Read Excel sheet per test suite level

Post by Support Team » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello Sujit,

Welcome to Ranorex.

If I understood correctly, you need the same data within multiple test cases, not splitted up as you mentioned. If I'm correct with that assumption, this can be accomplished by using nested test cases:
NestedTestCases.png
NestedTestCases.png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 596 times
The dataconnector is specified within your main test case. This allows you to use the same data within multiple sub test cases.

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,
Robert

pansujit

Re: How to Read Excel sheet per test suite level

Post by pansujit » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi Robert,
This is exactly the my case, Thank you for your kind help. It solved my issue but opened another issue for me.
I am integrating my Ranorex with testlink via jenkins and now jenkins cannot see my sub-cases as test case. I have splitted up my test as the your given scenario. It found only one test case (main test case only).
I am using the technique prescribed in ranorex blog(sorry url is not allowed for me).
Now my test case are passed but I can see only one test case and didn't see my test cases(under main test case) "run" in testlink.

Thank you once again for your help and I would like to kindly ask you, whether do we have solution?
Thanking you

Sincerely Your
Sujit Pandey