How to validate on a dynamically changing text in the text

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
RekhaG

How to validate on a dynamically changing text in the text

Post by RekhaG » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 am

Hello,

I have a text area which displays the status of a currently running job, the text keeps changing depending on which stage the job is. How can i validate the text.textvalue when it changes dynamically.
All these values are stored in a json file and i will probably read the jason and validate on each different status message that it displays in the text area.

This is the rxPath of the control
/form[@title='ProgressControlWindow']/container[1]/?/?/text[@caption='End']

Please see the attached snapshot

Thanks,
Rekha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vega

Re: How to validate on a dynamically changing text in the text

Post by Vega » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:47 pm

There are a few ways you can do this depending on your test case. You could always change your path to contain a variable and then populate that variable either through code or a data source:

/form[@title='ProgressControlWindow']/container[1]/?/?/text[@caption=$myVar]

$myVar would contain the value that you are looking for at that stage of your test. This way you can reuse the same path and just change the variable throughout test execution

source: https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... athExample

You could also do this in user code with a switch statement or something similar which can test against all acceptable values. Basically, have a method which takes the text as a parameter and check it against your expected values.