How to verify that a video inside a control is playing back

Ask general questions here.
crawf202

How to verify that a video inside a control is playing back

Post by crawf202 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:01 pm

I am working with a desktop application, and Ranorex Studio 8.1.1. Our application displays a number of moving video clips playing back in a continuous loop.

I am able to identify these controls for the clips without a problem.

Our manual test cases ask the user to simply confirm that the clips are playing back - that is they aren't paused, or blank.

For automation of this test case, we agreed it would be sufficient to take two quick screenshots of the clip playback control and verify they are not identical- thus proving that something dynamically changing is being displayed in the control. If the comparison comes back as a match, it must mean the clip is either paused or blank.

I don't see a way to do this from within the Ranorex studio however. I can see how to use image based verification of a control, where we compare a new snapshot against one previously saved with the repository - but that's not what we're trying to do here. We want to take two new snapshots while the script is running and compare those against each other. Is there some way to do this?

Stub

Re: How to verify that a video inside a control is playing back

Post by Stub » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:31 am

Sounds like you could code up a module where you take an image of an element using the Ranorex.Imaging.CaptureCompressedImage or similar API, wait a bit, take another image, then compare the two images via the Ranorex.Imaging.Compare API? I often load a previously saved image for comparison with some element.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: How to verify that a video inside a control is playing back

Post by odklizec » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 am

Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration