IE10 crashes at certain point in my script

Ask general questions here.
Aracknid

IE10 crashes at certain point in my script

Post by Aracknid » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi,

This is fairly vague, but I'm running a script that passes in IE9 and FF and Chrome, but in IE10 RTM on Windows 7 it crashes always at the same place. The crash is IE, not a web page error. If I try to emulate the steps manually, it works fine.

I've been playing with putting breakpoints in varous places to narrow down where it happens, and I thought I found the spot in my script where I could run to and then step through the code, however, stepping through the code made it work, probably due to being much slower.

How can I narrow down if this is truely an IE10 issue versus some other odd thing happening under the covers?

Are others experiencing IE crashes with IE10 RTM on Windows 7?

Using Ranorex 4.0.2 (but error was also happening with 3.3.5)

Aracknid.

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Re: IE10 crashes at certain point in my script

Post by Ciege » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 pm

I haven't done any IE10 testing as of yet....

However, since you have already gone the way or debugging with a breakpoint, only to have it succeed... What I would try next is point a lot of log messages in your code around where you believe the error to occur. Once you can really narrow that down you might be able to come up with a solution for it. Maybe there could be some more checking for readystate in that area or checking for existence of certain elements before continuing, etc...

Sorry this is a pretty vague response to your vague question... :lol:
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Aracknid

Re: IE10 crashes at certain point in my script

Post by Aracknid » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:15 pm

After much debugging and time wasting, I figured out a way to work around the problem. I still don't really know for sure what the problem is though.

Basically, I think the problem occurs when I get a hover over event in my AUT's UI. In our UI, when you move over certain "buttons" (they are not really truely buttons) their hover over state causes them to be highlighted, so you know that if you click, this is the button that will be clicked.

In my code, I was filling in a value for one of our custom controls. After doing this, I do something else, and then I move to one of these buttons. It was as I moved over one of these buttons that IE would crash. I could run my script to this point and then manually take over getting the crash to occur. I noticed that as I moved over the button, the pointer would show the busy cursor for a moment just before it would crash and the hover over was never displayed.

While debugging, I was luckily able to notice that after I did "some" of my code, and before the "rest" of it ran, if I manually moved the mouse over one of these buttons it seemed to be OK when the "rest" ran after, whereas it would crash otherwise.

So to work around the issue, I added some code to move the mouse to one of these buttons, forcing the hoverover state. Looks odd when you run it, but at least it works...

Aracknid.