Ignoring repository variable

Ask general questions here.
kOoO

Ignoring repository variable

Post by kOoO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello,

When you use a repository item that has a variable in its RXpath in recording, Ranorex automatically creates a module variable for that recording, which then needs to be bound (well it doesn't need, but I don't like to see unbound variable warnings).

However this is not wanted in some cases, for example the recording can set the repository variable by itself in a coded step.

Is there any way how to set the recording not to expose the repository variable as the module variable to the outside world?

I know it can by solved by wrapping the recording by module group and bind the variable to an empty constant, but it seems kinda hacky and time consuming.

Also it would be great if a recording's module variable could be explicitly bound to a repository variable. This way more recordings could use same repository item under different context and each of the recofding could chose appropriate variable name.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ignoring repository variable

Post by odklizec » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:54 am

Nazdar do CR :)

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to disable/ignore unbound Ranorex variables. I myself remember sending such request long time ago to Ranorex support (even before introducing User Voice platform). Sadly, no action was taken yet. So I think the best option now is to create a user voice for this?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

kOoO

Post by kOoO » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:59 am

Nazdar and thanks ;)

That's unfortunate, thankfully it's just a cosmetic issue.

From what I saw in Ranorex user voice, there are some nice ideas hanging over 2 years, so I think it's waste of time to use that platform.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am

Nazdar,

Not entirely waste of time. Many great user voices have been finished in the past! The thing is, that Ranorex folks, from obvious reasons, focus on mainstream items, with higher votes rate. Sadly, this also means that many (maybe) small, but tremendously useful things, may be overlooked. Which is, unfortunately, also a case of unbinded repo variables.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

kOoO

Post by kOoO » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 am

Yes exactly, that's why I don't think there is space for developers to work on these little things. On top of user voice list there are things like reusing test containers and possibility to call group module from another group module which are much more useful things. If those things can't get through after 2 years, it's hard to believe there is some point in pushing these minorities.