Image based Automation

Ask general questions here.
mohan.pentyala

Image based Automation

Post by mohan.pentyala » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi Team,

In my desktop application, I have the only option to automate it using coordinates or Image-based (In my previous posts even you guys validated my snapshot and confirmed the same)

We have started with Image-based. Now we are blocked at the requirement i.e we have many filter options in application (50+) and in the test case, we need to read the filter options from Excel in run time and select them in the application.

If I have any id or name to add to the repository I can read through a variable and assign to a method click through descriptive programming, but how to deal with Image-based.
We have to add all the filters images to the repository but how to read from excel in run time and select and perform click operation.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Image based Automation

Post by odklizec » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi,

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but I think that using image-based automation is not feasible in such complicated scenario. At least I can't see how to make it consistently working?

The snapshot you mentioned is in this post?...
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/viewtopic ... 563#p50563

As I mentioned in my answer, the snapshot shows a technology limitation warning, which may be the reason, why Ranorex cannot access individual AUT elements and even not returning RAWTexts (with enabled GDI capture).

So, at first, have you fixed this problem? At next, if Ranorex still cannot track the individual elements, you should again try the GDI capture. Of course, you should try all this with most recent Ranorex version, which is 9.1.0. I would also suggest to evaluate your app with MS Inspect tool. If MS Inspect is able to track the individual AUT elements, Ranorex should be able too. If not, then it may be because of bug in Ranorex? But I rather expects the AUT is not written with accessibility in mind. In this case, you should discuss this problem with AUT developers.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mohan.pentyala

Post by mohan.pentyala » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 am

Hi ,

It was the same application,

And the problem is not fixed, for now, we won't have any support from Dev team , so that we are going with Image-based, able to automate 30+ cases , the only thing we blocked is with the requirement mentioned in the top.

Please help us if you have any inputs on this

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 am

I'm afraid, there is most probably no feasible way to achieve what you want, with image-based automation. But it's hard to tell for sure without access to the app. So I would suggest to contact directly Ranorex support and request a remote session with them, so they can evaluate your UI and eventually, suggest the best approach, if there is any?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration