Import existing ranorex recordings

Ask general questions here.
sanoyag

Import existing ranorex recordings

Post by sanoyag » Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 am

Hello all,

I would like to ask if is it possible to import folders of existing recordings from another solution into a new solution? I am aware of the add existing item step, but it is only able to add a single existing item. I would like to import many recordings which are put inside folders. I am hoping for your help. I am still starting on Ranorex and I am not yet so familiar with it. Thank you very much in advance :)

Vaughan.Douglas

Re: Import existing ranorex recordings

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Mon May 22, 2017 3:21 pm

I would suggest adding the entire (old) project into your new solution so you'll have two projects under that one solution. You can then reference them back and forth. Just do an "add existing" at the solution level rather than the project level.

***Edit***

If you don't want to keep the old project, just do as mentioned above, then copy the modules to the new project. Once you're done remove the old project from the solution. You will be prompted for some decisions regarding the object repository, so you'll want to pay attention to which one suites your needs best.
Doug Vaughan

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Note: You cannot reference "back and forth". References can ONLY go one direction. Otherwise you have a circular reference, which is a compiler error.

Otherwise, I agree that adding the project is the easiest solution.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 24, 2017 12:13 am

In addition to what other users said, you can copy more than one module at a time with the 'Add > Existing Item' function by multi-selecting modules when adding (CTRL+Click & Shift+Click selecting).
2017-05-23 19_06_50-Add Existing Files.png
Cheers,
Ned
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 pm

krstcs wrote:Note: You cannot reference "back and forth". References can ONLY go one direction. Otherwise you have a circular reference, which is a compiler error.

Otherwise, I agree that adding the project is the easiest solution.

krstcs is absolutely correct, I was using inaccurate language. You can not literally take a module from test suite A and place it in test suite B while ALSO placing a module from test suite B into test suite A. The best approach is to use a "Ranorex Test Suite Module Library" to contain all of your shared modules and share only that reference.
Doug Vaughan

sanoyag

Post by sanoyag » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:51 am

OMG Thank you so much for all the replies! I ended up following what Vaughan-Douglas first taught. I added the entire old project and just copied and pasted the modules that I needed in my new project. Works like a charm :) Will try to use the other suggestions you have posted in the future solutions that I would be making. :)

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:03 pm

sanoyag wrote:OMG Thank you so much for all the replies! I ended up following what Vaughan-Douglas first taught. I added the entire old project and just copied and pasted the modules that I needed in my new project. Works like a charm :) Will try to use the other suggestions you have posted in the future solutions that I would be making. :)
Sorry if I created any confusion. Needless to say everyone's suggestions are all variations of the same thing. Once you've copied over your modules, just make sure you remove the old project.

I would still recommend adding a Test Suite Module Library project to your solution so you can more easily expand your solution down the road. We've been using Ranorex for a couple of years in my organization and we've gone through a lot of trial and error. It seems like most solutions eventually get to the point were multiple projects are needed. It's much easier to just set it up this way from the get go.

In fact I just submitted a suggestion for an option to automatically create a Test Module Library project to the uservoice thing.
Doug Vaughan