Installing Ranorex on a STIG'ed box

Ask general questions here.
btangonan

Installing Ranorex on a STIG'ed box

Post by btangonan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 am

I've recently tried to install Ranorex 5.4.2 runtime license on a Windows 7 machine that is STIG'ed with a DISA Secure Host Baseline image. It seems that it installed correctly but I do see this error message in event viewer:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_64) - Failed to compile: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 5.2\Bin\Ranorex.ReportViewer.exe . Error code = 0x800700d8

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_64) - Failed to compile C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 5.2\RanorexStudio\bin\RanorexStudio.exe because of the following error: Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A).

The automated test is triggered by the coded ui test I created in Visual Studio. On the test agent on the STIG'ed machine, it displays in the Test Agent Status box that the coded ui test is running but the Ranorex Test Suite Runner dialog box does not appear and no test is ran.

Could someone help me understand the error. Is it a Visual Studio Test Agent issue or a Ranorex issue?

Martin

Re: Installing Ranorex on a STIG'ed box

Post by Martin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:57 pm

It's probably to do with .NET attempting to run its 64-bit optimizer on a 32-bit assembly. There is a lot of information (a lot less solutions) on the web about this issue already from Win Vista times. The solutions though are quite specific and can differ depending on how the error was reached. I hope this info will give you an entry point on understanding yours.