Instant object detection in Spy but very slow in the Studio for the same DevExpress control

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
EugeneMkv

Instant object detection in Spy but very slow in the Studio for the same DevExpress control

Post by EugeneMkv » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello everyone,

We're facing some issue that looks like a bug.
Our SUT was built with DevExpress components. Some controls are detected very slowly in Ranorex Studio (more than 10 seconds). But when we open it using Spy it detects those controls INSTANTLY! The xPath looks pretty ordinary:

/form[@controlname='frmDXPage' and @title='Order Blotter']/element[@controlname='ucDXBlocks']/container[@controlname='ucDXBlocks - LayoutControl']/element[@controlname='block0']/container[@controlname='_layoutControl']/element[@controlname='']/container[@controlname='ucDXOrderBlotter - LayoutControl']/element[@controlname='ucDXGrid']/container[@controlname='ucDXOrderGrid - LayoutControlGroup Container']/element[@controlname='cboUsers']

What is the cause of such behavior and is there a way to fix this issue?
I attach a link to the video demonstration of this issue (289 MB, full-hd video): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U5WX7b ... sp=sharing

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Instant object detection in Spy but very slow in the Studio for the same DevExpress control

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 am

Hi,

At first, what Ranorex version do you use? Most recent is 8.3, so if you are using something older, please update it.
At next, make sure you are using the same settings in Studio as in the standalone Spy! Just export the settings from standalone spy and import them in studio/solution settings. Different settings could have a big impact on performance.
And finally, try to add the a application under test to whitelist. This could significantly improve the performance of Ranorex Studio. Hope this helps?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

EugeneMkv

Re: Instant object detection in Spy but very slow in the Studio for the same DevExpress control

Post by EugeneMkv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for reply and recommendations!

Upgrade to Ranorex 8.3 (from 8.2) didn't help.
Import/export settings from Spy to Studio didn't help.
Adding to whitelist didn't help either.

Also I've attached a snapshot.
OSs: Windows 7 (x64) - physical machine, Windows 10 (x64) - virtual machine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi,

The snapshot shows a technology limitation warning, which could be a potential cause of your problem.
warning.png
Please follow the steps described here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/v8.1/techn ... ETWinForms
I would say that Reason #6 looks like exactly your problem?

Additionally, the snapshot indicates that you are using Ranorex 8.1.1 and not 8.2 or newest 8.3? Could you please review your Ranorex version? And of course, try to run Ranorex Studio as Administrator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

EugeneMkv

Post by EugeneMkv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi,
I made a snapshot on another computer. It doesn't matter. Situation is the same on Ranorex 8.3 (with whitelists etc).
How come technology limitation doesn't affect Spy which detects the same control instantly? (you can see it at the end of the video I posted above).
Why the behavior of Spy and Studio is different?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi,
How come technology limitation doesn't affect Spy which detects the same control instantly? (you can see it at the end of the video I posted above).Why the behavior of Spy and Studio is different?
I don't have a clue, but apparently, the Spy integrated in Studio works slightly differently? It's even mentioned in the link I posted before.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

EugeneMkv

Post by EugeneMkv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Ok, I'll try to install .NET Framework 4.0 Extended and see if it helps..
Btw, I don't use standalone Spy! I just clicked Edit in Spy link in Repository tree.

EugeneMkv

Post by EugeneMkv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Ok, my Windows say that I already have this or newer version of .NET.
And here's a snapshot from Ranorex 8.3 machine.
Any other ideas?
It's kind of blocker in test automation development for our software...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Have you followed the rest of suggestions, regarding the technology limitation warning? I think you will have to discuss some of the points with AUT developers?

Additionally, I would suggest to create an official support ticket and request a remote session with Ranorex support folks:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

EugeneMkv

Post by EugeneMkv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Thank you, odklizec,
it seems an official ticket is really needed because I guess the issue could be investigated by developers.
I'll submit it soon.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 am

Hi EugeneMkv,

On the attached video of your first post I can see you are talking about differences of the “Highlight” function used directly in the recording compared to be used in Ranorex Spy. It’s not about differences of internal and external Ranorex Spy.

When you click on “Edit in Spy”, Ranorex looks for the element and opens the spy. The element data gets cached by Ranorex and that’s why it gets highlighted instantly if you click on “Highlight” within the already open spy.
If you click on “Highlight” directly in the repository, the element is not cached yet and therefore, Ranorex has to look for it first in order to highlight it.

I hope this information is helpful.

regards,
Stephan