Integration of source control into Ranorex

Ask general questions here.
sivakumaran

Integration of source control into Ranorex

Post by sivakumaran » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:26 am

Hello.

we have a Visual studio environment integrated with our source control clearcase for our development.

we are in the process of evaluation of Ranorex.

How do I integrate my Ranorex tool with our source control
Or in other words, can we integrate Ranorex into the Visual studio and thereby utilize the clearcase.

Please suggest what to do?

best regards,
Siva

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Integration of source control into Ranorex

Post by odklizec » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi,

Ranorex currently supports SVN and TFS integration. However, from my previous experience with source control integration, I would suggest to completely ignore TFS integration, because it does not work quite well with larger projects. Basically, the larger the solution is, the slower is the work with such solution (even simple things like renaming file) ;) It's not because Ranorex folks badly implemented TFS integration. It's because of limitations of MSSCCI provider used for TFS integration to Ranorex. In short, it's better to not use source control integration in Ranorex and perform all source control-related operations outside the Ranorex (e.g. using Team Explorer).

As for the integration of Ranorex with Visual Studio, it's possible. Check for example this Ranorex user guide post:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... ation.html
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Re: Integration of source control into Ranorex

Post by krstcs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:14 pm

In addition to what Pavel said, you can put Ranorex projects under ANY source control, but they aren't integrated into Ranorex Studio. I use GitHub. In my opinion, you should ignore the integrated version control systems and just use the VCS tool.

In regards to Visual Studio, Ranorex is just a set of libraries that you would add to your project's references and then include in each file that needed them.

While there are many people one these forums that do that, I wouldn't recommend it for someone just starting out with Ranorex. Not only are you throwing away much of what you paid for (you still have to buy the Premium license in order to create tests), but you are also going to reinvent the wheel, so-to-speak, in regards to the test framework. Ranorex already has a great automation framework built in, so there really is no need to use VS.
Shortcuts usually aren't...