iOS - how to check for external app / popups

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
Styris

iOS - how to check for external app / popups

Post by Styris » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:56 pm

1. As part of out app's registration flow we need to send an SMS out for verification. I noticed that all the screens are identifued by ranorex...but when it gets to the SMS screen (which is part of the flow) and I hit "Send" on the sms screen that is not recognized by Ranorex. What is the best way to have that recognized, since that is a critical part for us.

2. Once we do get in to the app..there is a popup that asks the User if they want to sync their phone contacts. The popup has two options "Don't Allow", and "OK", User can click one of those. I noticed that Ranorex does not recognize this either. Please advice here as well.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: iOS - how to check for external app / popups

Post by odklizec » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi,

As discussed several times before, it is unfortunately not possible to automate iOS native apps and dialogs (dialogs, which are a part of iOS and 3rd party apps/dialogs). Only instrumented apps can be automated. It's not a Ranorex fault, but the iOS security feature. Simply, Ranorex has no access or control over the native apps and dialogs and you should not expect any change in a near future.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Styris

Post by Styris » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:39 pm

That part is fine - I will take that as an explanation for the sms part. Basically I take it to mean that if my application is redirected to the SMS screen I cannot automate that part through ranorex.

However my second bullet point still remains. That is not external is it? As soon as I log in to the app I get that popup. How can I automatically choose "Don't Allow" or "OK" through Ranorex whenever that appears ?

Styris

Post by Styris » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 am

I will wait for your response but in essence we probably need to know if there is an equivalent of the web "ButtonCloseInfo.Exists()" . But this is not a Close button per se...rather two buttons which, like I said before, say "Don't Allow" and "OK"

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:33 am

If the "don't allow" dialog is an internal dialog in your app (coded by you) it should be possible to automate it as the rest of your app. However, I think it's the same case as with other system dialogs? As far as I remember, any iOS application accessing contacts requires permission to do so. And this permission is done via system dialog? So I'm afraid, you are out of luck here too.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Styris

Post by Styris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:36 am

Are there any iOS simulators for Ranorex...on a Windows machine, that can help overcome this ?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:11 am

There are few iOS simulators available for Win platform, the question is, how reliable they may be for the purpose of Ranorex automation? I don't think any of them is as good as the one from Apple and sadly, this one is just for OSX, so no luck here.

The best one for Win (according to google) seems to be this one...
http://www.xpadian.com/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Also note that a simulator would still run iOS, which is where the problem is. It is iOS, not the hardware or simulator, that does not allow access to system dialogs and apps. The same is true for Android.
Shortcuts usually aren't...