IOS issue - Not able to launch and access the IPA instrument

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
sudheer.punreddy

IOS issue - Not able to launch and access the IPA instrument

Post by sudheer.punreddy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:24 am

Hi,

I would like to post an issue that we are facing with iOS and IPA.

We need to work on a third party IPA file (shared by client) on the iOS Devices and or that i followed the below process.

1. Instrumented the Ranorex Servces App on iOS device (Successful) (Latest compatible with RX 5.4.3)
2. Instrumented the IPA file (Successful)
3. Launched RXServiceApp manually
4. Connected my Device to RX Studio 5.4.3
5. iOS Config: iPhone 5, iOS 9.1
6. RX Studio: v 5.4.3
7. Used the required Developer Provision and Signing certificate and added my device UDID is added to the profile.

But the issue is, I am not able to view the instrumented app (IPA) under my Devices section. It is displaying there are no apps running. I tried launching the IPA manually and checked but my app launched is going into background mode. I am not able access Start and Stop functionality of instrumented IPA.

Could you please help in resolving the issues.

Regards,
Sudheer

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IOS issue - Not able to launch and access the IPA instrument

Post by Support Team » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:30 am

Hi Sudheer,

Unfortunately it is hard to analyze this issue. Therefore, I may ask you if you could provide additional details about your application under test.

Additionally, please let me know what exactly you mean with the app is going into background mode.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Markus (S)

sudheer.punreddy

Post by sudheer.punreddy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks for the reply Markus. I am able to launch the IPA on iOS device manually. But RX is not recognizing the IPA as Instrumented one. I even couldn't see the IPA running on RanorexServiceApp. Below is the process followed.

1. Downloaded and installed RX ServiceApp on my iOS Device manually
2. Launched ServiceApp manually
3. Connected the Device to RX Studio (Connection succeeded)
4. Instrumented the IPA using manual instrumentation mechanism with the supported RX Libs (libRxAutomationUni_212.a), Automatic Instrumentation through Wizard is not working fine
5. Installed the IPA file on the device manually (using X Code 7)
6. I ensured that, RX Service launched first and then my IPA next (manually)
7. And now, the issue which i am facing is, RX is not identifying my IPA which is running on the device and it is showing as "No Apps running currently).
8. I am not able to start/stop IPA and work on identifying the elements in the IPA

PFB some useful info for reference.

iOS Version: 9.1
RX version: 5.4.3
RX Service App: Latest compatible with RX
Connection type: USB & iTunes

Could you please look into this information and help us in finding a solution?

Note: My mobile dev team using X Code 7 to build IPA's, is this causing any issues in instrumenting the IPA through X Code (RX help file is showcasing only X Code 6 to use for manual instrumentation).
Please confirm any thing.

Thanks,
Sudheer

henrywillian171

Post by henrywillian171 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:35 pm

even i faced this problem :cry:

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Hello henrywillian171,

Sudheer is already in contact with [email protected].

May I ask if your IPA is compiled for iOS9?

Unfortunately, there is an issue with starting/closing the app when it is compiled for iOS9.
I'm afraid that the only workaround would be to compile the app for iOS 8 SDK.

We are currently working on a solution and I will update you as soon as I have new information.

Regards,
Johannes

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello,

The bug was fixed in the latest version of Ranorex, 5.4.4.

More information about Ranorex 5.4.4 can be found in the release notes.

Regards,
Johannes

IPuser

Post by IPuser » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:02 am

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue on Ranorex 5.4.4 and Ranorex 5.4.5. Via iTunes the app is installing and launching, but if I instrument it via Ranorex Studio it's no longer launching (and it remains in background). Also tried to instrument it manually (by adding the libRxAutomationUni library inside the app's source code), but i get the same result.
The app is developed in Xamarin 4 and i'm using iOS 9 SDK.
Tested on iOS versions 7.1 and 8.4 (real devices), with Debug and Release versions of ipa file.

---------------------------
Mar 12 10:51:26 iPhone kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[1608] Container: /private/var/mobile/Applications/A1FC6E71[...] (sandbox)
Mar 12 10:51:27 iPhone app_name[1608] <Warning>: <Info | Runtime | Loading UIControl+RxAutomationCategory>
Mar 12 10:51:27 iPhone app_name[1608] <Warning>: <Info | Runtime | RxAutomationEngine with iOS component version 'v2.1.3' init>
Mar 12 10:51:29 iPhone app_name[1608] <Warning>: The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
Mar 12 10:51:29 iPhone app_name[1608] <Warning>: It should have been installed in the `/Users/builder/data/lanes/2689/962a0506/source/maccore/builds/install/target7/lib/mono/2.1/mscorlib.dll' directory.
Mar 12 10:51:29 iPhone com.apple.launchd[1] (UIKitApplication:[com...]) <Notice>: (UIKitApplication:[com..]) Throttling respawn: Will start in 2147483645 seconds
Mar 12 10:51:38 iPhone lockdownd[53] <Notice>: 00201000 _select_socket: receive secure message timeout!
Mar 12 10:52:18 iPhone lockdownd[53] <Error>: FAILURE: Failed to open property list at file:///private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd/overrides.plist for reading. (The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory)
Mar 12 10:52:18 iPhone mobile_diagnostics_relay[1609] <Error>: main: Could not receive message from client.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello IPuser,

Welcome to the Ranorex forum!

It is unlikely that the issue is caused by the bug, which was mentioned in this thread.

If a Xamarin iOS app is instrumented with source code, you will need to consider some additional steps, which are described in the following blog entry: Automate Xamarin Cross-Platform Mobile App Testing.

If this doesn't solve the issue, it would be great if you could send the IPA file to [email protected]. This would help us analyzing the issue.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Johannes

dungnguyenn

Post by dungnguyenn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:43 am

I got this error on my site. Please give my advice to solve this problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi dungnguyenn,

Thank you for posting your issue here.

In the detailed error message, I can see that the "System.IO.PathTooLongException" was thrown by the Ranorex Instrumentation Wizard. May I ask you if your application is somewhere stored in a deep structure of directories? Please try copying the IPA file to your local desktop and repeat the instrumentation process.

If the problem still occurs afterwards, please do not hesitate to contact us directly by email ([email protected]). I'd be more than happy to assist you personally.

Best regards,
Markus (S)