iOS Testing Using Appium

Ask general questions here.
Gowtham

iOS Testing Using Appium

Post by Gowtham » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 am

Hi,

> We are trying to run test case on iPad(Not Emulator, a real device connected via USB) Safari browser(Not RxBrowser) through Appium web driver from Windows 8.1 using Ranorex 8.3.1.
> Is it possible to test the web application on iPad device(which is connected through USB) native browser(Safari) from Windows 8.1 and Ranorex 8.3.1? Or do I need Mac to achieve this(I am referring to the real iPad device, not an Emulator or Mobile device).

Thanks & Regards,
Gowtham.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: iOS Testing Using Appium

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi,

It seems Mac is required in case you want to run Appium tests on real iOS device. And even then, it's somewhat complicated to setup Appium and xCode/iTunes to cooperate. You will even need to use some kind of 3rd party lib. Check this post:
http://appium.io/docs/en/drivers/ios-xc ... l-devices/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Gowtham

Post by Gowtham » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:39 am

Hi odklizec,

Thank you for the reply.

Kindly help me regrading the following,

> Since, Mac is not available, is there any way to test the web application on Safari? I think Safari is available for Windows as well. The latest version available for Windows is comparatively older than that of Mac.
> When I try to run on Ranorex, the Safari browser is not listed. How do I test on Safari using Windows? Is it possible?
> Is the behavior of Safari Windows is same as Safari Mac?
> To test a web application(not standalone application) on Safari from Windows, do I need .ipa file, p12 certificate?

Thanks & Regards,
Gowtham.

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Gowtham,

Safari for Windows is too outdated to be considered "valid" as testing environment. Just, don't :)
If you don't want to buy a Mac, then check if a testing cloud provider might suite your needs. Something like SauceLabs or BrowserStack.

You can add the provider as a Endpoint. Start by reading this article if you are not familiar with this yet: Endpoints

If this is a pure web-application that is started from your browser, then you don't need a .ipa file.

Ofc, you need to check their pricing and make sure that it will in the long run still be cheaper than getting a Mac ;)

Regards,
McTurtle