iPad - dealing with odd dialogs

Ask general questions here.
stapes

iPad - dealing with odd dialogs

Post by stapes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:34 pm

I am testing an application on an iPad, and I get occasional popup dialog from the IOS system (not part of my app under test).

One problem with these dialogs is that the app can carry on as if it is not there. Pressing buttons & so on. But the dialog obviously still sits there until answered.

This is annoying. With normal dialogs, you cannot continue until you respond to the dialog.

Not sure what is the best way to deal with this. Should I just ignore, & let the test continue, or should I watch for it & respond?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: iPad - dealing with odd dialogs

Post by odklizec » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi,

The problem is, there is nothing you can do about iOS-own dialogs. Ranorex can only automate dialogs and elements coming from instrumented apps. Due to the closed nature of iOS (and its security restrictions), Ranorex cannot access the OS dialogs or dialogs from other (non-instrumented) apps. So all you can do is to take screenshots here or there and save them to report. Then you have to review the report and look for the appearance of such unexpected dialogs.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

stapes

Post by stapes » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:33 am

This is a problem & a big limitation. The objective we had was that the tests should be able to run whenever a new build was performed in Jenkins without manual interference.
Every new build of the IOS application causes these dialogs to appear.
"This program would like to send you notifications" or "Update your IOS" for example.
These dialogs sit atop the screen & often obscure our own dialogs sitting behind them, so the build fails unnecessarily.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:35 am

Well, this is an iOS security measure and there is nothing Ranorex folks can do about it. I'm afraid, you will experience this kind of problem with every iOS-capable automation tool.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration