Is Ranorex support browsers across multiple platforms

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
richk08

Is Ranorex support browsers across multiple platforms

Post by richk08 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

Hi,

1) Do I need to record and write separate Ranorex script for web application (Java, Ajax) different browsers (Safari, IE11, Chrome, FF) on different OS (Windows 32bits & 64bits, iOS, Android)? or

2) One recorded and written Ranorex script for web application(Java, Ajax) can be re-used for all the different browsers (Safari, IE11, Chrome, FF) on different OS (Windows 32bits & 64bits, iOS, Android)?

krstcs

Re: Is Ranorex support browsers across multiple platforms

Post by krstcs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Ranorex works on both x86 and x64 versions of the supported Windows products (and ONLY on Windows due to .NET being the basis for Ranorex).

Ranorex works on IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari, again only on Windows.

Ranorex can be used to test iOS and Android apps, but not WEB apps, unless you have your own web browser that you can instrument. Ranorex cannot instrument iOS Safari at all. Android apps can be instrumented if you have the APK file for the browser.

As to whether you CAN use the same script, yes, you probably CAN, but you would need to change the repository items every time you wanted to run the script in a new location, which defeats the purpose.

I would suggest that you may not WANT to use the same script as the time you use going back and forth in the script to make it work in all places would be better used just making different scripts for each environment.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

richk08

Post by richk08 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 am

Thanks for your reply and my apology for the double posting.

I'm a little confused to your reply below(Paragraph 1, 2 "only on windows") as its sound contradicting to the advertisement on your website that Ranorex able to automated testing on wide range of desktop, web and mobile technologies.

Let me re-phrase to get more specific answer or understanding.

I have a web application using J2EE, Flex and Javascript which I would like to automate the test using Ranorex on all major browsers (ie. IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox) on Windows (XP, 7, 8, 8.1), iOS (5.x, 6.x, 7) and Android (4.x)

1) If I have record and wrote the Ranorex script for test on this web application on IE on Windows XP, can the SAME script been used to test the web application on Chrome, Safari, Firefox?

2) If I have record and wrote the Ranorex script for test on this web application on IE on Windows XP, can the SAME script been used to test the web application on Chrome, Safari, Firefox on other Windows version (7, 8 )?

3) Based on your previous reply, do you mean Ranorex cannot be used to test web application on iOS web browser (Safari) and Android's internet browser?

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:32 pm

First, I don't work for Ranorex. I'm just a user like you. :D

Second, when I say it only runs on Windows, I am talking about the main set of libraries and the Ranorex Studio IDE.
You can run tests on Android apps and iOS apps if you have instrumented the apps using Ranorex's app libraries before you deploy the apps to the devices.

Now to your questions...

1. Yes, very much so. I run my web tests on all 4 of the browsers all the time. If you set it up correctly, it works wonderfully.

2. Yes, very much so. I run my web tests on Windows 7 and 8 all the time, and would guess XP would work the same. No reconfiguration of tests is required here, just install the runtimes on each system.

3. It depends. You will NOT be able to run web tests on Safari at all. Apple has it locked down. If you have your own web browser app that you can instrument with Ranorex then it is possible on both iOS and Android, but you have to COMPILE the browser with the Ranorex library and then push it to the device. On Android, you must have access to the APK file. Ranorex can re-compile the APK with the Ranorex library for you, so if you got Dolphin or Firefox's APK, you might be able to instrument and use that, but I haven't tried it.

Ranorex is a great tool, but just like any other tool, it has limitations, many of which are external (such as Apple's locking down of the iOS browser). Also remember that it is based on .NET, a fundamentally Windows only framework (Ranorex on Mono is not supported as far as I know, and even though that would be great, I don't think the driver layer in *nix-based systems would work with the Mouse/Keyboard filter drivers that Ranorex uses).
Shortcuts usually aren't...