Issue when using remote agent with excel data driver that has multiple sheets

Ask general questions here.
andy.simpson

Issue when using remote agent with excel data driver that has multiple sheets

Post by andy.simpson » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Interesting issue here wondering if anyone has had it before

OK so I'm currently doing some database automation which validates the contents of the SQL database with an oracle in the form of a multi sheet excel spreadsheet. The test suite is split into smart folders, each of these smart folders is bound to a different work sheet of the excel oracle.

The amount of validations is pretty high (just over 10,000) and the problem is that running this amount of validations in one go understandably seems to cause Ranorex issues when reporting (performance, disabling expand containers etc)

After an evaluation I concluded the best way to do this would be to split the smart folders into separate test configurations and run them over remote agent on a separate VM, I copied the excel spreadsheet to the project so the data connection would not fail when running over remote agent.

What I have found however is that although I have roughly 15 different data connectors that are pointing to different worksheets of the same spreadsheet its only the one that I "copied to project" where Ranorex recognizes that the data is present within the project to complete the test, all the others just fail with the "failed to find data" exception where its looked for the spreadsheet locally and its not there.

I have tried copying the other work sheets to the project but it just throws and exception saying that a data connector with that name already exists in the project (which it does) as its based on filename not worksheet name.

Is this a bug or is there another way around this, I don't really want to be splitting the worksheets up and copying them to the project as these will span a lot of different customer configurations and will cause issues as we scale up

Thanks in advance :D

Vega
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Issue when using remote agent with excel data driver that has multiple sheets

Post by Vega » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 pm

While i know all of these data sources are just different sheets from the same file, I would definitely check where your data sources are pointing.
farum1.png
farum1.png (24.38 KiB) Viewed 194 times
While you technically copied the file to the project, the other data connectors are independent and may still be pointing to the original path. Are you able to share any error message so that we can compare the path (if given) in the error message?

Definitely a weird issue as it sounds like you took the right steps... I just created a sample which has multiple connectors which point to different sheets of the same workbook and did not have the issue when run via agent. You may just need to update the path of the other data connectors to point to the local file within the project but its hard to say without seeing more.

hope this helps

andy.simpson

Re: Issue when using remote agent with excel data driver that has multiple sheets

Post by andy.simpson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am

ahhh great call, although I had copied the spreadsheet to the project it doesn't automatically update the paths for the other data drivers, updating this solves the issue