Issue with Flex MX Datagrid with Locked Columns

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
jgoris

Issue with Flex MX Datagrid with Locked Columns

Post by jgoris » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 pm

I recently downloaded Ranorex Studio 3.3.4 to evaluate for my company. We use Flex 3/4 pretty heavily and have been looking for a robust automated testing tool for our Flex-based applications.

I have taken the tool through some of our Flex applications and have stumbled upon an issue with MX Datagrids that have locked (Frozen) columns. For example, if I have a Flex MX DataGrid with the 3rd column being the locked/frozen column, then this means my grid's first 3 columns do not scroll right/left when I scroll the grid and the rest of the columns while columns #4, 5, 6, etc. scroll when I scroll the grid. This feature is very important to my company and is one reason why we didn't "upgrade" to the Spark Datagrid since this feature is not supported.

There are a few things that I see happening within Ranorex:

1. When I use Ranorex Spy to inspect my App's datagrid cells and hover-over any cell within a "frozen" column, the entire column is highlighted in a red box and the spy apparently thinks that I am highlighting the entire column. Conversely, hovering over the column header of a frozen (or any) datagrid column, does appear to work (e.g. they all appear to be recognized as a column header cell).

2. If, given the same grid as in #1 above, I use Ranorex Spy and hover-over the first non-frozen cell (maybe it's in column #4 overall, but the 1st column of the non-frozen ones), the spy "thinks" that I'm actually hovering over the first cell in the grid.

I have tried the above with "simple" cells only have a string inside them all the way up to my own custom ItemRenderers, but it appears that the Spy doesn't recognize cells within frozen columns grid. I have NOT tried to manually interact with these cells via the XPath, but will be attempting that next.

So far I really like the product but as I said before, this frozen-column grid issue is a deal stopper for us.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jason

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issue with Flex MX Datagrid with Locked Columns

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 am

Hello,

Could you please post a Snapshot of your application in oder to analyze this issue?
Take a look at section 'Creating Ranorex Snapshot Files' from our User Guide.

Regards,
Markus (T)

jgoris

Post by jgoris » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. While in the process of creating a snapshot to send you, I was able to drill down to the actual cell level via the spy object tree. So, it appears that Spy does recognize the items in my grid/renderers. The problem seems to be with the automated testing (record/track) features since I can't automatically click on a particular cell like I would expect, but would instead have to build my test "manually" instead of using the easy point-and-click recorder. The tool just highlights an entire column when I hover over a cell in the grid.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what the snapshot is going to give you since it seems to be more of a behavior of the tool and what it recognizes in the "Track" mode. All the correct object information is present in the resulting object tree, I just can't use the spy/record tool to click on a cell and have it be recognized for building a test suite. Make sense?

If you think the snapshot would still help, I can surely send you one. I just don't know what it is going to give you since the entire object graph is present and looks fine.

Thanks,

Jason

jgoris

Post by jgoris » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Here's my snapshot and a screen capture.

Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Hello,

It should be possible to access your cells by using the specific row (instead of the column).
Please change your repository item in order to reflect this.

Could you please post a Snapshot of your table ''projListGrid' in order to analyze this issue?
In your last Snapshot I can't see the rows of your table.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Markus (T)

jgoris

Post by jgoris » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 pm

The snapshot file is too big to post here (> 1 mb) so I will attempt to email it to your support account.

Thanks,

Jason

jgoris

Post by jgoris » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I was able to attach my file to an email to your support email box. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kudos to the folks who put together the Webinar today too, btw. It was excellent!! :D

Jason