Issues with dialog windows in KeePass-Tutorial

Ask general questions here.
msp

Issues with dialog windows in KeePass-Tutorial

Post by msp » Fri May 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello,
I try to make my way through the KeePass tutorial but have some issues.
There is the main window of KeePass and the other function (add entry, icon select, ...) brought up as dialog windows (main window not accessible in background and the dialog window in foreground). During recording or running a test, the windows are switching and showing the locked main window in foreground but input mostly still goes to background. At the point where the icon is selected for the WordPressDemo entry, I have to run mouse click twice to select the icon (1st click brings icon window back to foreground and 2nd click selects the icon).
While running KeePass without Ranorex, I don't have these issues.
Am I missing some configuration related to recordings especially while working with dialog windows?

Regards
MSP

PS: Testing with Ranorex v7.0.1

qwertzu

Re: Issues with dialog windows in KeePass-Tutorial

Post by qwertzu » Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi msp,

Could you please add some screenshots to your description?
This would help identifying the issue in more detail.
Please also let us know, which paths you are using in your repository.

regards,

qwertzu

msp

Post by msp » Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello qwertzu,

I attached the screenshot and my Tutorial-Project.
To the screenshot:
- red framed = how it looks like during running with Ranorex
- green framed = how the looks normally, while main window is locked in background
A click in the middle of the window of the red framed screenshot brings the Add Entry window back to front.

regards msp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi msp,

Thank you for uploading your project.
I found, that your "Key Sequence" - action is not performed on a specific element.
Please make sure to perform this action on the input field in which you want to write something.
KeySequenceAction.png
Please also make sure, that you turned on "Ensure Visible" within your project settings.
EnsureVisible.png
regards,

qwertzu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

msp

Post by msp » Tue May 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello qwertzu,

thanks for the informations.
I changed the suggested connection to the input field.
The "Ensure Visible" option was already turned on in the settings.

As you can see in the KeySequenceAction screenshot from your reply, there is a log event (Action 8 ).
I inserted two logs between click actions that must performed twice to work around the dialog window issue.
The click before the log action brings the wanted window back to foreground and the click after the log action brings the wanted result.

I added some screenshots related to the dialog windows and the actions in the AddEntry recording module of my tutorial project.
Action_8_Log-Screenshot:
- red framed = application before Action_7_Click
- green framed = application before Action_9_Click
Action_12_Log-Screenshot:
- red framed = application before Action_11_Click
- green framed = application before Action_13_Click

regards,
msp

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Hello msp,

I tested your solution locally and did not experience the issue you are describing, therefor leading me to believe it is a local/environment issue. Do you see the same behavior when running the demo KeePass solution (Ranorex Studio Start Page > Sample projects > Desktop example)? Can you duplicate this issue on another machine? What windows and bit version are you using?

Here are a couple general debug steps to try: Kind Regards,
Ned

msp

Post by msp » Wed May 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello Ned,

I started my Tutorial Project as a new project under Ranorex 6.2.1 (Windows 10 Pro x64 + 1607 Update) and only copied the KeePass application from the Ranorex KeePassTestSuite-Sample to my new test suite.
When I first run into the dialog window issues, I upgraded the KeePass application to current version.

My next step was a clean system (Windows 10 Pro x64 + 1703 Update) with Ranorex 7.0.1, but the issue still exists.

Right from the beginning I used Run as Administrator and had UAC disabled.

Regards,
msp

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Thank you for this information.

What version of KeePass are you running into these issues with? Does the tutorial/sample using the old version of KeePass run without the issue?

Kind Regards,
Ned

msp

Post by msp » Thu May 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Hello Ned,

currently I use KeePass v2.35.0.0 (should be contained in the Tutorial.zip from my second post).

At the moment, I still use the evaluation version of Ranorex.
The Version of Ranorex 6.2.1 on the old machine is expired. On this machine I had the issue under KeePass v2.20.1.0 and v2.35.0.0.

Now I tried a fresh Desktop example in Ranorex 7.0.1 without making any changes to the project, but KeePass (v2.20.1.0) gets stuck right after starting the test, at the login window with "not responding" notification in title (screenshot attached).
There seems to be no problems while running KeePass (old and new version) without Ranorex.

Regards,
msp

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi msp,

Although the WinForms warning is only a 'warning', it is probably the culprit of your issue. You should not be getting this with KeePass. Have you tried the solutions outlined here: General Troubleshooting: WinForms?

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Ned

msp

Post by msp » Tue May 16, 2017 10:05 am

Hello Ned,

after reinstalling Ranorex the sample with the older KeePass version is working fine now.
I guess the installation of older .net Framework for the KeePass version in the sample was the reason for some problems.

No changes for the dialog windows in my Tutorial project, so I keep on searching.

Regards
msp

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 am

Try different variations of the the global 'ensure visible' option (Ranorex Studio > Settings > General > Use Ensure Visible by Default), and the repository element's 'ensure visible' property (Right click element > Properties > Ensure Visible).

Do you see this same behavior in other applications? Do a quick test in notepad such as the below:
  • Open Notepad
  • Open about dialog
  • Validate text in about dialog
  • Click OK
  • Close notepad
I still suspect something external of Ranorex and KeePass is causing this issue since this issue has never been reported before and I am unable to duplicate locally with your solution. Nonetheless, I am really itching to figure out what is going on.

If you continue experiencing issues, please email me at [email protected] (link this forum thread in the email). It may be worth while to do a short remote session to let me poke around a bit and see if anything unusual stands out.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Ned