Issues with FireFox ESR 52

Ask general questions here.
Aracknid

Issues with FireFox ESR 52

Post by Aracknid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi,

I'm using Ranorex 7.1 and testing in FireFox ESR 52.3. When running my script in visual studio or as compiled script from command line, it will be working for a while and then at some point it will die because it can no longer see the DOM object. If I launch Spy, there will be no FireFox DOM but the FireFox form is still there. Of course FireFox is running and I can use my AUT if I manually jump in.

This issue reminds of a problem from long ago that I found, logged, and was fixed. I'm not saying it is the exact same, but it seems like after a certain amount of time FireFox times-out or just dies for some reason. Here is the other older posts:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/does-rano ... t7695.html
and
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/does-rano ... t7717.html

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Also, I cannot say for sure this is a new issue in Ranorex 7.1 or FF 52.3 ESR. I have not tested FF that much. Last time I used it was with Ranorex 6 and 52.0 and I had no time to really look into my script run and see why certain scripts didn't pass.

Thanks,

Aracknid

qwertzu

Re: Issues with FireFox ESR 52

Post by qwertzu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello Aracknid,

have you already tried to update FireFox to a later version? (e.g. FireFox 55.0.3)

regards,
qwertzu

Aracknid

Post by Aracknid » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 pm

The problem is that we only "officially" support the ESR stream. But that doesn't mean we can't work in non-ESR Firefox... just not officially supported and I doubt our customers would use these newer non-ESR versions, and it doesn't make sense for me to test in a version not being used by our customers. As I said, the problem doesn't cause manual use of Firefox to stop (as far as I could tell).

But I did install 55.0.03 and run through some of my troublesome scripts and they did all work. Because the issue is arbitrary, I cannot say with 100% certainty that the issue doesn't exist in 55, but it does seem that way.

So the question is, does this mean there is a bug in Firefox ESR 52 (and possibly other versions) with respect to how automation interacts with it, and if so, how can I find out? Any suggestions or guidance?

Thanks,

Matt.

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Aracknid,

On my machine it works perfectly fine to set up and execute a simple test in FireFox ESR 52.3.0 (32-bit).
What version of ranorex automation extension are you currently using in FireFox?
Please make sure to use Ranorex Automation NG 1.0.9.

regards,
qwertzu

Aracknid

Post by Aracknid » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm using Ranorex 7.1 and the FF plugin is Ranorex Automation NG 1.0.9

As I said, it works with FF ESR 52.3 in general, but on scripts that run a long time I'll get a chance to have this problem at some point. The scripts are usually running for 15 or 20 minutes at a minimum when this happens, and there has been plenty of work being done (and no, the tests cannot be shortened).

Aracknid.