Java app launched from bat file is recognized as Win32

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
Vaughan.Douglas

Java app launched from bat file is recognized as Win32

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Windows 7/10
Ranorex 7.2.0

I've got this fun little Java application... It gets launched via bat file which in turn cascades through a bunch of other stuff including other bat files. Eventually the actual app is called using arguments collected through the above mentioned cascade.

My user was trying to leverage image identification, but he needs more precision that what he's been able to achieve including the ability to read text. I've got a bit of history with this particular application in that I had previously done automation against it using QTP almost 10 years ago. I'm pretty confident that if QTP could automate it, Ranorex should be able to get it done as well.

The attached snapshot is of the initial sign-in screen and you can see the provisioning warning I get. You can see that we're not able to identify any of the buttons or inputs. We've tried to execute the bat file in admin mode and it doesn't seem to help. The same issue persists once the application actually loads, however I'd rather not post a SnapShot of it if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Vaughan

krstcs

Re: Java app launched from bat file is recognized as Win32

Post by krstcs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Have you tried starting both Ranorex and the AUT as admin? The technology limitation warning specifically states that it is a permissions issue between the AUT and Ranorex.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 pm

krstcs wrote:Have you tried starting both Ranorex and the AUT as admin? The technology limitation warning specifically states that it is a permissions issue between the AUT and Ranorex.
Ranorex is run in admin mode, but since the AUT itself is loaded through a series of bat files we're not sure how to force it into admin mode. When we manually run the bat files as admin (right click and select run as administrator) the Ranorex spy gives the same warnings.
Doug Vaughan

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Have you tried starting the app without running through the batch files? If it works, then we can assume that the issue is the batch file and how it interferes with elevation and/or identification.

It could also be that the AUT's implementation is at issue. I tested Java applications in my last position, started them from JNLPs, not batch files, but they worked fine.

You may need to do a remote session with the Ranorex team so they can see it in action. I would contact [email protected] directly.
Shortcuts usually aren't...