Just curious about the possiblity of VS Add-on

Ask general questions here.
carsonw

Just curious about the possiblity of VS Add-on

Post by carsonw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi there, I'm just curious about this more than anything.

I'm wondering if you have any interest or designs in creating some sophisticated addons for visual studio to allow for enhanced functionality outside the Ranorex Studio.

The Ranorex studio is definitely superior to many of the other solutions out there, but Visual Studio is, understandably, much more powerful, easier to use (because of enhanced functionality etc.).

You can do most things in VS pretty easily, but some things you really need to use Ranorex's studio for.
We can use the external Repository Tool for repository stuff (it even generates the C# file for you, which is really handy), and the test suite explorer as well.

But what we cannot do, at least not easily that I can see is:
* Insert Module Variables
* Associate Code Modules with Test Cases
* Create / Associate Data connectors
* Rename repository items (not conveniently anyway, where it renames the info version of the item and so forth).

I'm sure you can do these programmatically somehow, but the studio makes them really convenient.

As I said, I'm just curious more than anything. Right now we're shifting more and more to working in VS2012, but we still go into the studio to do the above.

Thanks for your time :)

Carson.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just curious about the possiblity of VS Add-on

Post by Support Team » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello Carson,

I agree that in some cases it is not that comfortable to work in Visual Studio in connection with Ranorex. We have already discussed if it would make sense to provide a Plugin for Visual Studio and some colleagues was investigating if there is a way to achieve this. Unfortunately we came to the result that it is not possible without a very huge effort.
I will bring the issue up again and maybe there is an easier way with the current version of Visual Studio.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
Bernhard

carsonw

Post by carsonw » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks - it's much appreciated :)

You could always do a poll of your customers to determine if there's a market for it first... and then it's something you could sell as an enhancement to your current offerings. You might open up a market that you didn't know was there before.

Carson.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Hello Carson,

Thank you for the suggestion.
We will take your suggestion into consideration.
Thank you!

Regards,
Bernhard