Keysequences cause windows 10 to lose context menu rarely

Bug reports.
scrushmaster

Keysequences cause windows 10 to lose context menu rarely

Post by scrushmaster » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:13 am

So for a few months now I have been running a bunch of Ranorex unit tests through Jenkins like 200 a couple of times a day. I have identified an issue in the Win10 VM's that is caused by "Key Sequences" being used. No its not the up or down getting stuck, i'm not very green on Ranorex.

Its very strange but basically the windows 10 context menu starts rendering with nothing (right click on the desktop of windows 10 that is the context menu). I have taken out key sequences and been using set values as much as I can but some code (auto completes) does require me to keep key sequences in it.

Im using ranorex 6.1.1 currently, windows 10, ie11 for most tests. Same tests run on windows 7 and do not get the issue. It is very "intermittent".

So has anyone else seen this or reported this annoying issue?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keysequences cause windows 10 to lose context menu rarely

Post by Support Team » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Hello scrushmaster,

Welcome to the Ranorex Forum!

May I ask which exact version of Windows 10 is being used? You could use the winver command to display the complete version number. Furthermore, it would be very helpful if you could create a small sample project that helps to reproduce the issue on our Windows 10 VM.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Johannes

scrushmaster

Post by scrushmaster » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Operating System:
Version 10 (Build 10240).
Browser:
All my tests are using IE11(not edge).
Background:
I run your popup blocker method and look for some elements in parallel to close them while running the scripts.

Replication (not easy):
Its a "Key Sequence". In the last case I caught it was just typing in a variable which has a string value "james" into a generic text box. Basically out of hundreds of tests it occurs like 1% of the time or less...

Once the issue occurs the computer must be reset. I found other "Context menu" disappearing articles in Microsoft forums but none seem to fit.

The way i figured out it was a key sequence is by tracking the VM's build history and analyzing the console output to find out when it happend through Jenkins and i always find a script with a pesky "key sequence". I removed most of them and it stabilized and the issue almost went 100% away but I still have to use key sequences for the above mentioned auto complete and plan on scaling out considerably, so I am now posting to see if anyone has seen such unusual behavior.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 am

Hi scrushmaster,

I'm afraid that it will be very difficult to reproduce and analyze this issue. Would it be possible for you to update to a newer version of Windows 10 to verify if this resolves the issue? For example, updating to Version 1511 (November Update) or Version 1607 (Anniversary Update)?

Sincerely,
Johannes

scrushmaster

Post by scrushmaster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, I probably should have hit the VM's with the update. I will let you know if it occurs again after I update it. I will get back to this thread if I see it on Win10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607).

scrushmaster

Post by scrushmaster » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:31 pm

I have not seen the issue since the updates after running continuous testing for a week now. So seems like the keypress/lose context menus issue is caused by a previous Windows 10 version.

SOLVED.

scrushmaster

Post by scrushmaster » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:30 pm

UNSOLVED

Came in after christmas and one of my windows 10 anniversary edition VM's has the missing "context menu" issue.

So upgrading did not work. This time it was a keysequence of [ENTER] when it started.

RobinHood42

Post by RobinHood42 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello scrushmaster,

Did you check if there were any updates installed on your operating system. The Windows anniversary edition tends to change basic features in their updates. Usually, the issues are solved in one of the next updates.

Cheers,
Robin