Limitation although SAP Scripting Support enabled

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
aruebesam
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Limitation although SAP Scripting Support enabled

Post by aruebesam » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:32 am

Hi,

I'm trying to track SAP GUI. Although the SAP Scripting Support is enabled as described on user guide, chapter "Enable SAP Scripting Support", the Ranorex Technology Limitation pops up and tracking is not possible.

Please let me know any information available to solve this issue. Is there a SAP tool that verifies that the scripting is configured correctly and active both on the client and server?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Andreas

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Limitation although SAP Scripting Support enabled

Post by krstcs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:43 pm

When raising issues in the forum, please include the following information:

Ranorex version (current is 5.3.1)
Windows version
System Under Test (SUT) technology (HTML, Java, WPF, Flash/Flex, etc.)
Full text of any error messages

This will help us all get on the same page more quickly.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

aruebesam
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by aruebesam » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am

Thank you for your response. The issue is solved. For some reason on our environment, Ranorex must be installed under C:\Ranorex directly instead of C:\Programs\Ranorex in order to work with our SAP GUI.

Regards,
Andreas

pxmb

Post by pxmb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 am

Hello,

currently we face the same Problem as mentioned above:
We've activated the following:

sapgui/user_scripting = TRUE
SAP GUI Options NSP - Scripting --> Enable scripting = checked

Ranorex: 8.0.0
Windows: Windows 10 Enterprise - 10.0.14393
SUT: SAP
- EHP 7 FOR SAP ERP 6.0
- SAP ERP 6.0 (2005)
- SAP Netweaver 7.4

Error: When executing a run it says: "SAP Scripting support needs to be enabled in SAP GUI."

The previous post says, that they managed to fix the Problem by installing Ranorex directly under C: without subfolders.
Could you please tell us what to do?

Thank you for your support.
Attachments
SUT_SAP_Element_Screenshot.png
SUT_SAP_Element
SUT_SAP_Element_Screenshot.png (55.77 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Ranorex_Spy_Screenshot.png
Ranorex_Xpath
Ranorex_Spy_Screenshot.png (62.58 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Ranorex_Log_Screenshot.png
Ranorex Log
Ranorex_Log_Screenshot.png (52.39 KiB) Viewed 891 times

N612

Post by N612 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

pxmb wrote:The previous post says, that they managed to fix the Problem by installing Ranorex directly under C: without subfolders.
Could you please tell us what to do?
  1. Uninstall Ranorex
  2. Start installing Ranorex
  3. Change the installation directory to C:\Ranorex 8.0
    dir.png
    dir.png (39.2 KiB) Viewed 880 times
  4. Complete installation
Also based on your screenshot, it appears scripting is not enabled. It should look like this:
guiscript.png
guiscript.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 880 times
I hope this helps!

pxmb

Post by pxmb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I was asking more in terms of "I cannot believe that the solution is that it needs to be installed under C:\Ranorex 8.0)
and not how to install it under C:\Ranorex...but hey. That's communication.

Problem is that permissions on folders such as C:\Programs(x86)\Ranorex are different than on C:\Ranorex 8.0
Not to mention local admin permissions / restrictions etc...
Unfortunately I have no local admin permissions and I hope that there's another solution than to install it under C:\Ranorex 8.0

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:27 pm

pxmb wrote: Unfortunately I have no local admin permissions
My guess that this is your actual problem? Have you tried to run Ranorex on another machine with more rights and especially run Ranorex as administrator? This solves many permission-related issues, which may be also this case.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

pxmb

Post by pxmb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

Hi,

we're running Ranorex in a Company. Most user have no admin rights due to the companies policy guidelines.
It is quite difficult to use ranorex without admin rights. When we try to run a Skript, the following message is shown: the process to run requires higher privileges (see screenshot)

Is there another way to configure ranorex so that admin permissions are not needed for executing a simple test-script?

Thanks for your support.
Attachments
Ranorex_Permission_Message.jpg
Ranorex_Permission_Message.jpg (326.49 KiB) Viewed 851 times

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, it does not matter how simple or complex is the test you want to run. What matters are the GUI controls and their implementation. Automation of some apps (their GUI) simple requires admin rights and there is (usually) no way around. This is not a problem of just Ranorex, but any test automation tool. Some things are simply not doable without enough privileges.

I would suggest to read below post, where krstcs nicely summarized the problematic of admin rights and (SW/test automation) development...
tutorial-problems-t11747.html#p47201
I can understand why some (non-dev/tech) users don't have admin rights. But SW developers simply should have local admin rights.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

pxmb

Post by pxmb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 am

Hi,

yes. Sure. It's not a matter of the complexity of a testcase...Frankly, I was frustrated because all I wanted was just execute a simple test case...

I do understand the point but there are a lot of other issues coming with local admin rights. For example: when Ranorex acts as a local admin, our user profile based configurations in SAP are recognized as "9353.admin". But all of my configurations are stored under my normal user profile "9353".
Unfortunately, no entities are stored under 9353.admin and our testcase is worthless / not executable.

Another Problems is that we often work with external Partners / Developers who are working temporarily in our Company and they should not get local admin rights.

I hope that this Problem is based on the trial version which we've installed. I've read that the admin permission issue has been solved with the full version.

Thanks anyway.
Regards
Martin

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 pm

pxmb wrote:I do understand the point but there are a lot of other issues coming with local admin rights. For example: when Ranorex acts as a local admin, our user profile based configurations in SAP are recognized as "9353.admin". But all of my configurations are stored under my normal user profile "9353".
Unfortunately, no entities are stored under 9353.admin and our testcase is worthless / not executable.
If the number with "admin" string is located somewhere in the xpath, then it should be solvable either by removing it from xpath or by using regex pattern, eventually "OR" condition?

As for the rest of problems, well, it's hard to suggest something definitive. I'm working in a different environment. Anything I'm doing on my local or even remote system is optimized for each of these systems and I'm local admin on all used dev. machines. Without local admin rights, I would simply refuse to work on a project, because it would cost me a lot of time and energy to find workarounds (only to find there is probably no workaround at all). Luckily for me, nobody even questioned the need of admin rights on dev. machines :) As all I can say is that I'm sorry for you ;) Over-secured environment is often a true pain for devs.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration