Linking a Repository

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
HansSchl

Linking a Repository

Post by HansSchl » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Dear all,

I am a bit confused about how to link an external repository into my test suite. I "Open from disk" the external repository, navigate to its folder and click "Open"; in the "Repository Project Reference Missing" dialog that follows, I click "Link" and "OK". However I keep ending up with a copy of the rxrep file in my working folder.
What makes things worse is that the "Repository Project Reference Missing" dialog isn't displayed in some situations. I assume this has to do with whether or not the external repository resides in a subdirectory of the current Ranorex project.
Can anyone expain to me the logic that is behind this? Why does linking create a copy, and why can't I link from a subdirectory? Maybe this is just a misconiguration on my side?
In case you might wonder why an external copy should be in a subdirectory: It is imported from its original location via subversion "svn:external".

Thank you
Hans

Vega
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Linking a Repository

Post by Vega » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:19 pm

I linked a repository and I do not see a copy of the imported repository in the project folder where it was imported. The only thing I see in the project folder within Windows Explorer is a MyTest97Repository.cs (this is the repository I linked) but this is just a supporting cs file and not the repository. Repository files are made up of a few files but the main one is <name>.rxrep.

In the solution explorer I can see an icon next to the linked repository letting me know it is linked:
fahrumz.png
fahrumz.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 127 times
I edited the repository in the project it was imported to, and going back to the original project I can see the changes made affect both projects since the repo is linked. My steps to import the repo were as follows: Right click project --> Add existing --> browser to repo of choice --> Select Link

hope this helps!

HansSchl

Re: Linking a Repository

Post by HansSchl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:31 am

@Vega, did you try this when the linked repository is in a subdirectory of the directory containing the *.rxsln file?