Local Variable panel & temp log

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
Pixi6s

Local Variable panel & temp log

Post by Pixi6s » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello,

When I am debugging and it stops at a break point in my user code, sometimes I can edit my variables in the "local variable" section with no issues. Other variables I cannot. This is making it really hard to test the negative cases to make sure my code is sound.

Do you know why some local variables would not allow editing?

Logs:

In a previous post someone had suggested that I can view logs from stopped runs by manually opening the log temp that is created. Where would I find this temp file?

thanks

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Re: Local Variable panel & temp log

Post by Ciege » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:32 pm

When I am debugging and it stops at a break point in my user code, sometimes I can edit my variables in the "local variable" section with no issues. Other variables I cannot. This is making it really hard to test the negative cases to make sure my code is sound.

Do you know why some local variables would not allow editing?
Are you using Ranorex Studio or Visual Studio?
Can you determine a difference between what variables you can versus can't modify during debugging?
Logs:

In a previous post someone had suggested that I can view logs from stopped runs by manually opening the log temp that is created. Where would I find this temp file?

thanks
It depends on if you selected a location for the log or not. By default I believe the temp log gets put in the directory where your test was launched from.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Pixi6s

Post by Pixi6s » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm

I am in Ranorex 3.0.4.

There are no recent files in the Ranorex3.0 folder and I don't see any temp files in the project folder anywhere...

Pixi6s

Post by Pixi6s » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Ciege wrote: Can you determine a difference between what variables you can versus can't modify during debugging?
Looks like I can edit All the Integers mid run but no strings or other variables. Is this on purpose?

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Post by Ciege » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Pixi6s wrote:I am in Ranorex 3.0.4.

There are no recent files in the Ranorex3.0 folder and I don't see any temp files in the project folder anywhere...
It should be in the folder where the compiled test is launched from, not the Ranorex installation folder.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Pixi6s wrote:Looks like I can edit All the Integers mid run but no strings or other variables. Is this on purpose?
Yes, currently only integers can be edited in the "Watch" pad. Nevertheless, you can set new values to e.g. string variables by adding a new watch containing an assignment:

Code: Select all

myString = "newValue"
Watch_Pad.png
Watch_Pad.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Or you use the Debug -> Console pad that allows you to execute code while debugging, e.g. the assignment above.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team