Long form and screen flicker

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
qa-auto

Long form and screen flicker

Post by qa-auto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi,

Has anyone experienced very rapid screen flickers when you run a test case with a longer form? I'm seeing the right scrollbar jump up and down quickly between each key sequence action? It's a general form with a text field whose path is

SF with Base: .//div[#'Block']
".//input[@id='ctl00_ctl00_MainContent_ChildContent1_FrmCustGeneral_txtFirstName

I generally use @id over @name because of readability in case it's relevant.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Lorinda

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Long form and screen flicker

Post by odklizec » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:26 am

Hi,

My guess is that this 'jumping' is caused by Ensure Visible action. By default, Ensure Visible is enabled in Ranorex settings, so you can disable it globally in Settings or you can disable it manually, per repository element. Just try to disable it for particular element in repository.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

qa-auto

Post by qa-auto » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks, Pavel. That's exactly what it was. I removed the Settings > General "Use 'Ensure visible' by default.

qa-auto

Post by qa-auto » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Just to info share...once I removed the setting globally, my other "tuned" test cases stopped working (which gave me a 15 min freak-out!).

Instead, I'm using Pavel's recommendation of setting the Property Use Ensure Visible to false PER ELEMENT on this particular form.

Happy Friday the 13th ya'll!

qa-auto

Post by qa-auto » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Even changing the visibility per element causes the test to find and click random areas. Should that be the effect?

Is there any other option on this flickering? Changing the path to be more specific perhaps so that the locator doesn't have to walk the entire DOM??

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi,

As long as the xpath points to unique element, there should be no random clicks. So make sure the xpath returns just one element on affected page. Disabled ensure visible should only help with jumping screen in case of long list of elements, where some of them are outside the visible are of screen. On the other hand, if the element you want to click is outside the visible area of screen and you disable EnsureVisible, the click may be realised at wrong place, because the element may not be on screen, while the click is invoked. Hence you must ensure the element is in visible area of screen. And this is what the Ensure Visible is for ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

shruti Kapur

Post by shruti Kapur » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi, I am facing the same issue.
I tried to make the suggested setting but not sure how to make it for a onw element. When i change the setting by navigating to edit in spy and setting change it disables my global setting and the other elements are no more recorgnized.

How to make this setting for 1 element ?

Thank you.

Stub

Post by Stub » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:01 am

I think you may need to look at the Properties for an element in your repository.