Missing something for Ranorex Agent?

Ask general questions here.
c676228

Missing something for Ranorex Agent?

Post by c676228 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:09 am

Hi Folks,

Does Ranorex Agent needs something in order to run the deployed test suite?
I have configured both machines for with Ranorex Agent. One is physical and one is VM.
The physical machine I have installed everything, including .net framework, Ranorex studio etc.
It runs fine. However the same test suite cannot be run on the VM, which just only has Ranorex Agent, Firefox with its extension installed.

The report keep saying that "The value cannot be null", Parameter: source.
So I think maybe .net framework is needed so I installed it on the VM. Still the same error.
Aren't all dll(s) deployed already to the VM through Ranorex Remote Pad?

Thanks,
Betty

krstcs

Re: Missing something for Ranorex Agent?

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:38 pm

As I suggested in your other thread about this, you may need to install Ranorex on the remote system.

This is because you must have Ranorex Studio and .NET both installed on your remote system, even if you also have Ranorex Remote Agent installed. The Remote Agent does not contain the Ranorex Runtime which is need for running tests.

On install, the Remote Agent is supposed to ask you to install the Ranorex Runtime as well, but there is currently a bug which causes it to not ask in some situations.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

c676228

Post by c676228 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi krstcs,

I dis installed Ranorex Runtime in the middle of installing Ranorex Agent.

Anyway it is for sure something is missing as another physical machine with Ranorex installed doesn't have the problem. I will install ranorex today to see if it is fixing the issue.

Thanks,
Betty

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 pm

I misunderstood, I thought you said you had not installed Ranorex on the remote agent VM system.

Maybe there is something else going on in this instance, perhaps related, or in addition, to the issue I was referring to.

c676228

Post by c676228 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Well, installed RanorexStudio (which was missing from the initial installing Ranorex Agent) doesn't help at all.
The same error message display in the report:
"Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source."

Some references are definitely missing. The issue is similar to what I have mentioned in another thread.

What folder have those deployed files on the remote VM?
That might help a bit.

Thanks,
Betty

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Have you tried completely uninstalling Ranorex, the Remote Agent, and .NET from the system and starting over after a restart?

Since I don't use the Remote Agent (I already have a full Jenkins setup working), I'm at the end of my knowledge on the subject. So, I'll bow out and let someone who has more knowledge try to help.

Hope you get it working!