More Data Binding questions...

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
carsonw

More Data Binding questions...

Post by carsonw » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 am

So we continue working with Ranorex and have come across a couple of issues we're working to overcome.

Our biggest challenge remains in how the data binding is managed, it is still a bit rigid. We realize we can write our own methods to achieve results, but we would like to see Ranorex manage this functionality.

This is what we are trying to do - I just need to know if it's possible and I've just not understood how to do it, or if it's not currently possible will it ever be and if so when (this is a big issue for us).

I talked about this a bit in a different post, but didn't get a concrete response back from the Ranorex support team.

Here is our issue:

I have an excel- let's call it "SalesForceTesting".

This file has two tabs - one is the "Orders" sheet, the other is the "LineItems" sheet.

Imagine I can submit a an order, and that order has some common data - a purchase direction, like "Buy", a beneficiary, and so forth.

Additionally, imagine this order can contain multiple line items - so an order may contain requests to buy several different currencies, each represented as a line item.

On our test sheet, my "Orders" sheet might have a row that contains data like customer name, beneficiary, and trade direction (buy sell). It also contains references to the "Line Items" sheet - row numbers to be specific. So the Orders sheet under a "LineItems" column might contain something like 1,2.

That tells me that it should use the data found in rows 1 and 2 of the line item sheet.

Now my problem - in my Test Case for this in my rxtst file I have a bound data with bound variables for the "Orders" sheet in the SalesForce file. There is no way, that I can see, to also have bound data variables for the "Line Items" sheet. Basically I can have them set for one or the other, but not both.

Is that true? If not, how can I set it. I can configure multiple adapters, but I can only ever refer to one. Ranorex even remembers my bound variables, it just doesn't use them unless that particular adapter is "Active" for that test case on the rxtst file.

Hopefully this is clear, I can include screenshots if that helps. Thanks!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More Data Binding questions...

Post by Support Team » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi,

you cannot use two data connectors for one and the same test case.
But, what you can do is to nest one test case into another.
And one add data connector for the parent and one data connector for the child Test Case.

Regards,
Tobias
Ranorex Support Team

carsonw

Post by carsonw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Well here's something that I've found that's interesting.

You can actually have many datasources bound to a single test case, BUT you can only assign module variables to one of them.

So we're using our own class to get the data from one of the other data bindings bound in the test case (nesting a test case will not solve this particular problem unfortunately).

It seems that you can actually have as many databindings to a single test case as you want, but you can only define module variables for one of them. Not sure why that restriction would be in place... but we had to overcome it using our own solution.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:03 am

Hi,
carsonw wrote:You can actually have many datasources bound to a single test case, BUT you can only assign module variables to one of them.
That's not exactly how it works.
You can only have one data source connected to a test case. And only the data of this data source can be bound the the test cases variables.

For sure you can create more than one data sources in the data source tab of the test cases properties, but you can only choose one of your data sources to be connected to your test case. The other ones can be used for other test cases in your test suite.

Regards,
Tobias
Ranorex Support Team