Moved Ranorex liecense server - standalone executables no longer run

Ask general questions here.
karltinsly
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Moved Ranorex liecense server - standalone executables no longer run

Post by karltinsly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:57 pm

We have 3 floating studio licenses and 8 floating runtime licenses. We have tests that run on multiple VMs, including some that are just standalone executables that have been copied to the VM. We had to move our license server to a different server and now the standalone executables fail with a message that they can't find the old license server.

How do we make the standalone scripts use the new license server? We tried recompiling in studio on a machine using the new license server and moving the new executable to the remote VM, but it still says it's looking for the old license server. We don't see any way to change the license server the scripts are looking for.

User avatar
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: Zilina, Slovakia

Re: Moved Ranorex liecense server - standalone executables no longer run

Post by odklizec » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 am

Hi,

At first, are you sure the new license server is on the same network as the VMs with installed Ranorex? This is a must! Have you tried to ping individual VMs from the license server machine?
Also, make sure that the license server does have open port 7266 TCP/UDP.
And finally, make sure the license server version match your purchased/installed Ranorex version.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

karltinsly
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Moved Ranorex liecense server - standalone executables no longer run

Post by karltinsly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all of those conditions were met.

We ended up installing the Ranorex License Manager on the VM, which gave us the ability to choose the new license server.

And just in case someone else moves their license server and comes here for answers:

We also ran into a problem where one of our solutions kept looking for the old license server, even after recompiling with Studio that was pointing at the right server. Turned out there was file in the release directory called RanorexLicenseManager.LIC that was pointing to the old server. We were able to just delete that file and then the solution started using the new server (editing the .LIC file also worked). Must be some legacy file from an older version of Ranorex.

All our issues from moving our license server have been resolved.