MTM wont stop Automated Test Run.

Ask general questions here.
IanF

MTM wont stop Automated Test Run.

Post by IanF » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 am

I have the thread below running on a Microsoft forum. Anyone had this happen.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... fcbb6086dd
Ian Fraser

IanF

Re: MTM wont stop Automated Test Run.

Post by IanF » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 am

I got an answer from Microsoft... It is working as intended.

You have to select the refresh button.... It would seem Microsoft cant run a refresh when the Test Finishes?
Ian Fraser

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Interesting, but not happy... We are in the process of moving over to TFS and plan on implementing an MTM solution with our Ranorex tests... Not what I want to look forward to.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

IanF

Post by IanF » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:42 pm

MTM is the worst test management tool I have seen. Microsoft have only done the minimum they need to with tool to claim it is a Test Management tool.

If you want to associate automation with a test you have to do this in Visual Studio. This MTM has all the signs of a half developed solution.

The blog here on Ranorex/TFS/MTM intergration does not cover all you need to know either.
Ian Fraser

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 pm

IanF wrote:The blog here on Ranorex/TFS/MTM intergration does not cover all you need to know either.
As mentioned in the blog post, it is assumed, that an existing infrastructure is existing.
This blog post will only describe how to set up a "Coded UI Test" executing Ranorex automation code. A detailed explanation how to use TFS and MTM would blast the length of this article.

Regards,
Tobias
Ranorex Team

IanF

Post by IanF » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Support Team wrote:
IanF wrote:The blog here on Ranorex/TFS/MTM intergration does not cover all you need to know either.
As mentioned in the blog post, it is assumed, that an existing infrastructure is existing.
This blog post will only describe how to set up a "Coded UI Test" executing Ranorex automation code. A detailed explanation how to use TFS and MTM would blast the length of this article.

Regards,
Tobias
Ranorex Team
The problem is there is no one place where all the information exists. Your blog posts gets a user to a certain point then its over to web and the mercy of Microsoft to find all the bits to this puzzle. I would think as a vendor rather than making exuses you would be providing solutions to your customers.
Ian Fraser

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm

IanF wrote:I would think as a vendor rather than making exuses you would be providing solutions to your customers.
Ranorex does not have a full integration into MTM, yet, and I don't think we claimed that. All we provided is a guide on how to let Ranorex do the test automation in MTM instead of using the build in MS Test :)
IanF wrote:Your blog posts gets a user to a certain point then its over to web and the mercy of Microsoft to find all the bits to this puzzle.
If you could point us to the problems you experienced, then we can update our blog. We use MTM and TFS 2012 ourselves for managing Ranorex internal testing. When compared with TFS or Visual Studio, it sometimes looks a bit half developed (or should we say like a 3rd party tool bought by MS?). On the other hand, now that we managed to overcome the initial drawbacks, we are (so far) pretty pleased with it.
IanF wrote:If you want to associate automation with a test you have to do this in Visual Studio.
That's an issue for us, too. We would like to see an option to associate a command line or executable with a test case, so you don't always need to have a project (and build definition, ...) to associate and run a test.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team