Nebula Grid support

Ask general questions here.
Mirage

Nebula Grid support

Post by Mirage » Mon May 04, 2009 11:14 am

Hello,

we are testing an RCP/SWT application which uses Nebula grids. Ranorex 2.x recognizes the grid as Table. However, the table doesn't contain Rows or Columns. It contains ListItems. The number of ListItems corresponds to the number of rows, but there is no way to access other columns (only the first column is recognized).

It would be great if Ranorex resolved the cells correctly and showed Rows/Columns. Currently, object Table returns zero Rows, and zero Columns. It would be even better if it could modify cells.

Nebula grid has a website here: http://www.eclipse.org/nebula/widgets/grid/grid.php

Thank you for the answer

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon May 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Could you please compile a simple sample application (containing the corresponding control) and send it to support_at_ranorex.com! We will then check what we can do to support that control better.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team

Mirage

Post by Mirage » Tue May 05, 2009 4:49 pm

I made a simple application which shows the nebula grid.

http://flashlight.slad.cz/files/nebula.zip

It's quite big due to eclipse dependencies. You will need JRE installed.

I hope it helps.

Best regards

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 am

I inspected the sample application, however, I'm afraid there is not much we can do about that inconsistent table/list item behavior. The Nebula control implements the MSAA interface, sadly they did not do a very good job. The grid reports itself as a table (good), but the children of this table are reported as list items (bad). At least, you can get the values of all columns of a row using the AccessibleName and AccessibleDescription attributes. The former contains the value of the first column, the latter contains the values of all other rows. So, you can use the value of these attributes and the String.Split method to retrieve the values of all cells of a row.

This homepage of the project says that the Grid is still in an Alpha state, so there is hope that its MSAA support will improve. Maybe you can also issue a bug report on the Nebula homepage illustrating the problem.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team

Mirage

Post by Mirage » Wed May 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks for the tips. Now, I managed to read the entire table. However, the cells are separated by white spaces which mix with white spaces in columns / cells. Creating a parser for that is tricky. :(

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Mirage wrote:However, the cells are separated by white spaces which mix with white spaces in columns / cells. Creating a parser for that is tricky. :(
I agree, a better implementation of the MSAA interface using rows and cells would be preferable. If you really depend on that control, you should issue a bug to the project's database. As I saw, version 1.0 is not finished, yet, maybe they can squeeze that feature in.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team