Need Spy Tool with Runtime licence

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
Pixi6s

Need Spy Tool with Runtime licence

Post by Pixi6s » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Any suggestions on what I should do? I need the Spy Tool but only have a Runtime licence on that machine.

On my development machine everything works, but on my runtime it doesn't. I am opening a PDF document and I just want to verify that a document opened (vrs a page not found) so very minimal checking. I have already ensured I have the same version of adobe reader installed and the same reader settings on both machines to the best of my ability.

I really want the spy tool to just see what Ranorex is seeing on that machine but it is not available to me. I am running out of debug options otherwise.

Any suggestions? I alternative tool maybe. Or can Ranorex help me out by giving me access to the spy even for a short time (i have already signed up for 2 trials via the web site in the past).

Thank you!

Pixi6s

Re: Need Spy Tool with Runtime licence

Post by Pixi6s » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Wow I think I actually got this working. So no longer priority but I am sure it will come up again so suggestions are still encouraged. Would have been nice to figure this out in a few hours instead of days.

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:16 pm

You got it working? Spy shouldnt work as a part of the runtime license... I wish it would...

You could use the following code to output information from a test script to see what Ranorex sees on a runtime machine:

Code: Select all

Ranorex.Core.ElementSnapshot snap = Ranorex.Core.ElementSnapshot.Capture(element, true);   
System.IO.File.WriteAllText("fileName.rxsnp", snap.SerializeXml());  
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:00 am

Pixi6s wrote:Wow I think I actually got this working.
You are able to start Ranorex Spy on a runtime machine? How did you managed that?

As ciege already suggested you can create a Ranorex Snapshot in your code. We have also an Automation Module for this. Therefore please take a look to following link http://www.ranorex.com/forum/create-sna ... t2447.html

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

Pixi6s

Post by Pixi6s » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:48 pm

No I didn't, it told me I needed a licence. I got my code working, My trial and error finally worked!

Thanks for the code snippit!

artur_gadomski

Post by artur_gadomski » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm also missing Spy on a runtime licence. it actually wouldn't even need to be a full Spy just a 'debug' version that only allows spying, so that I could verify the paths.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi,
I'm also missing Spy on a runtime licence.
We have noticed that the Spy is sometimes needed at test machines and we will discuss the need of the Spy for runtime licenses.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Support Team wrote: We have noticed that the Spy is sometimes needed at test machines and we will discuss the need of the Spy for runtime licenses.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team
This has my vote!
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

lyn5000

Post by lyn5000 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I agree also that Spy on runtime machines would make debugging much easier.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi,

For such cases we recommend to use one Ranorex Professional floating license, this will enable you to use the Spy on every runtime machine in your company, not at the same time but on demand.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 pm

That' s assuming we have floating licenses... In my case we do not, actually our initial license purchases were made before floating licenses were even available.

I also think it's kind of a let down from you guys to want to upsell to a (much) more expensive floating license just in the case of us wanting to use Spy to assist with our debugging when running our code on a different environment that the development is done on.

Ciege...

sdaly

Post by sdaly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Surely if Spy was allowed with a Runtime licence, this would essentially make the Professional license obsolete and they would be loosing out on money?! :? Why would you buy a Professional license when you could just buy the cheaper Runtime!...Don't think that's going to happen!

Although we do use floating Professional licenses, I never actually find myself using spy on our test machines. Instead I have a custom logger (implementing iReportLogger) which takes an element snapshot, compresses and then emails when failures occur which I then analyze in Spy on my host machine. The paths to take snapshots of are stored in some test run settings. Might be an alternative for others not wanting to purchase a floating Professional licence. :P

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I don't agree... We use professional licenses here to do our development. I assume that you can't compile in VS with a runtime license as you can with the professional license.

Having access to Spy does not (or should not) also give the ability to write your automation code. That should be a function of the Ranorex DLLs and not a function of being able to use a tool such as spy. IMNSHO...

Ciege...

sdaly

Post by sdaly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Why couldn't you compile - there is no license checking done at compile time when using VS or SharpDev? Not that I am aware of anyway! From what I can see, the licensing kicks in the first time you make a call to any functions in the Ranorex DLLs.