Nested menu warning message.

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
dmconsulting1

Nested menu warning message.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:26 pm

So the UI has a button that pops up a menu with 2 options. The menu is only visible when the button is pressed. Ranorex is able to find the object, but it takes forever and I get this message in the log:

Item 'P38Repository.DrillApp.RetryResume' could be found using its absolute path, but not using its relative path from the cached element of parent folder 'P38Repository.DrillApp'. This can happen if either the item search timeout is too small or if items within a rooted folder do not share a common parent element. To fix this problem, first increase the item search timeout. If this does not help, create a separate rooted folder for this item or disable caching for the specified folder.

How do I Spy a nested menu? I have to click the button to display the menu, so spy only sees the button click.

retryMenu.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Nested menu warning message.

Post by odklizec » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi,

In scenario like this, your best option is to take the snapshot of whole app during the test run. Simply, add ‘Create Snapshot’ action (Pointing to root app element), right after clicking the button in question. This should create the snapshot, which includes all UI elements displayed at a time of pressed button. Hope this helps? 😉
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dmconsulting1

Post by dmconsulting1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Ok, weird. The menu shows up very different in spy.

Retry/Resume button
/form[@processname='DrillApp']/tabpagelist[@automationid='PrimaryNavigation']/tabpage[@automationid='primaryNavProduction']/tabpagelist[@automationid='productionSecondaryNavigation']/tabpage[@title='Production']/container[@automationid='productionGeneralPage']/menubar/menuitem[5]/?/?

Retry/Resume menu option
/contextmenu[@processname='DrillApp']/?/?/text[@caption='Retry/Resume']

What does the snapshot give me? I created one.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi,

If you mean that you are confused by the fact that the context menu is not a part of the main app form, it’s a normal context menu behaviour on windows. You will have to live with that 😉
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration