.net 4.8 upgrade causing duplicate items in spy?

Ask general questions here.
dhale

.net 4.8 upgrade causing duplicate items in spy?

Post by dhale » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:14 am

We upgraded our Winform apps to .net 4.8 and are now seeing duplicate entries in spy.
What I'm noticing is that one entry is listed as type UIA flavor, and the other entry is of type MSAA flavor.
I cant share the snapshots of the offending production apps, but I was able to reproduce the behavior on a simple .net 4.8 WinForm app in Visual Studio that is attached.

Has anyone else seen this?
Whats the solution?
Attached is a snapshot of a sample app that demonstrates the issue.
Look at the combobox - two entries that are basically duplicates of each other - in this example one is being listed as Win32 and the other is UIA.

Whats the deal here?
Curently using Ranorex 9.0.1 on Win10 Enterprise 1803 Build 17134.950
But we also see the duplicates in Win7 as well.
We have plans to upgrade to latest Ranorex (hence why .net 4.8 upgrade) but are not there yet but will be soon.
Attachments
WindowsFormsApp.zip
(204.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
4_8_Duplicates_ComboOptions.rxsnp
(6.71 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
4_8_Duplicates.rxsnp
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .net 4.8 upgrade causing duplicate items in spy?

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Hello dhale,

I have replied to your support query regarding this matter, Generally, UIA does not kick in unless the current plugin is failing to get object recognition. In this case, it appears both plugins are at work which is technically not by design but should not cause any actual issues. We will look into the cause of this but in the meantime, if you are not running into any problems I recommend using win32 as it appears to get the better object recognition.

Regards,
Sean