New Projects doesn't have a .rxtst file

Ask general questions here.
rhx

New Projects doesn't have a .rxtst file

Post by rhx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi, I'm just evaluating Ranorex.
Issue: When I create a new solution (or new project within a solution) I never have a .rxtst file. Also choosing "Add File" I don't see a Test Suite Option there.
What's the reason for this?
Thanks, Rainer

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: New Projects doesn't have a .rxtst file

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi,

Newly created solution MUST have a rxtst file! Do you see (and are you able to click) "View Test Suite" button available in Ranorex toolbar? It's located between "Add Repository" and "View Module Groups" buttons.

However, after adding new project to an existing solution, there should be just one rxtst file available (the one created with initial Solution/Project). One solution should have just one rxtst file, no matter how many projects you will add.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Pavel, that is incorrect. Each PROJECT can currently only have one suite. The solution can have as many as there are suites.

I think the problem is that when the new project is created it defaults to a Ranorex Test Suite Module, instead of a Ranorex Test Suite.

To get that, make sure you select the C# folder in the left pane of the New Project dialog. Then you will have Ranorex Test Suite available in the right pane.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Kelly,

That's weird ;) I was under the impression that Solution should have just one rxtst file? And if you create a new project in an existing solution, there is no other rxtst created? The only exception I found in case of adding an existing project from another solution, which already contains a rxtst file.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:26 pm

My first project in a solution is the "library" and the others are the actual test suites. This is done with the mechanic I outlined in my previous post. I do this for all of my test solutions.

Like I said, each project can only have one rxtst file (currently, this is supposed to change in a coming version), but the suite can have as many as there are projects.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm

One learns something new every day! To be honest, I've never needed more than just one rxtst file so my misunderstanding seemed pretty logical to me :) But I see the usefulness of multiple rxtst files.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Yeah, it's pretty handy to be able to have one library project and then multiple different suite projects so you can use the same modules, but then have different business paths in different suites. When they start allowing multiple rxtst files in a project, I may move to just one project per solution, but we'll see. :D

And if you're not learning something new everyday, you're not doing something right! ;)

rhx

Post by rhx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks for all replies.

My simple fault was to select "Ranorex Test Suite Module Library" from NewProject/C#/Module instead of "Ranorex Test Suite" from NewProject/C#.

Nevertheless having multiple rxtst files is very useful to me. With that I can differ e.g. between "Test App A", "Test App B", "Integration Test" and so on.