Nodelock on VM

Ask general questions here.
Punashri M S

Nodelock on VM

Post by Punashri M S » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 am

Hello All,

want to install Nodelock on VM. but getting a error message saying not allowed.
we are working on VMS. Request to help to install the nodelock on VM.

thanks in advance

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Nodelock on VM

Post by odklizec » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:53 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, the message you got already answered your question. Nodelocked license is simply not allowed on VMs. You may try to contact Ranorex support about this, but I'm afraid, the answer will be the same. You must use floating license on VMs.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Ibiebln

Post by Ibiebln » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 pm

Hello,
we must change our pc to VM and i have only a Nodeloc lic, i want to move the lic from my pc to my new VM? i use smartbear too and the tell me what should i change in the VM configuation to use the smartbear lic, i change 3 parameters and now i work with smartbear TestComplete on VM

Ranorex 9.0.0

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:32 am

Hi,

Node locked license is simply not supported on VMs, so you cannot move your existing node locked license to VM. Your company will have to buy a floating license. If you want to debug your tests on that VM, you need Studio license. If you just want to run tests on VM, all you need is Runtime, which is way cheaper ;)
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Ibiebln

Post by Ibiebln » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Hello,
I work for a compay and bought Ranorex a licence for Node locked and Floating Runtime licence , the software is mine and the hardware is from the company and i must every 3 month change some thing on the code to run it on the VM, If my licence do not work on a VM, it is for me to look for other program like ranorex becaoue the floating licence is very expensive ( I apaid 4000€ and every year 1200€ for Node locked with floating Runtime licence)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi,

Commercial TA tools are not cheap. I fully understand your position, but you see, if node locked license would work with VMs, anyone could copy entire VM so anyone with access to that VM could use it, even locally. So why would anyone purchase floating licenses then? ;) And I'm really surprised that SmartBear guys provided you with some steps how to run node locked license on VM? As far as I know, they also have node locked and floating licensing scheme, where node locked license is intended to be used just with physical computers and not VMs?

I think your best hope is to modify your solution on local PC and then simply run it on VM with runtime license. If you really need to modify the solution on target VM, you will have to buy floating Studio license. There is no way around. Of course you may try to find another tool and redo all your existing Ranorex work with new tool. But I seriously doubt that you will find less expensive and similarly capable solution? From what I see, Test Complete is way more expensive solution, because it charges separately for desktop, web and mobile modules. Ranorex does this all in one package ;)
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Ibiebln

Post by Ibiebln » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 pm

hi,
thank you, ranorex is better than testcomplete, the license I have get is from the company to whom I work, I would like to use ranorex for the next time but with out to pay for renew, because what i do is only to change some lines in the code. since 2014 I use ranorex to test some forms devloped in java swing, next year some of the forms will be devlope in html5 and the code closed, when I try to record or spy the buttoms or fields, I get nothing, ranorex and testcomplete can not recognise anything, ranorex support do not answer my question, i forgot to renew my license and for my delay I must pay over 2500€ and the license renew is only untel march 2021 , if I do not know, if ranorex can recognise the html5 forms, why should I renew the license? I must first pay and then I will get the answer
Last edited by Ibiebln on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi,

Do you have a publicly shareable example of the form you want to test? I believe that html5 forms are supported. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to tell what’s wrong with the one you want to test. I mean without seeing the sample app/form. Eventually, please create a snapshot of the app under test and post it here. But sample app would be much better for evaluating the problem.

Have you, by any chance, tried most recent Ranorex version in trial mode? Trial should be enough for evaluation purposes.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Ibiebln

Post by Ibiebln » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm

hi,
i have the version 9.1.0, I try to make a snapshot tomorow an post it, have you try ms power automation?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi,

9.1.0 is somewhat old and no longer supported. I would really recommend to try 9.3.3, even in trial mode. And no, I’ve not tried (or heard of) ms power automation tool.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Ibiebln

Post by Ibiebln » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:19 pm

hi,
today too no answer from ranorex, the change my license key from windows 7 to 10 and do tell me the new key :-( and i have no idea where to find the key
please see the TTchment for example for html5
Attachments
html5form.JPG
html5form.JPG (73.58 KiB) Viewed 16 times
html5.rxsnp
(233.21 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by Ibiebln on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, I can't comment Ranorex support reaction time, as I do not work there ;)

As for the snapshot you posted, there are two major issues. At first, the snapshot indicates, that you are using an old and somewhat buggy Ranorex 9.0.0. It's really old and no longer supported version. You should really get and use most recent 9.3.3. And at second, the snapshot shows an error about missing Chrome plugin, which means that Spy is not able to detect DOM and all its children elements. And this is why it does not detect also HTML5 elements. So, after you update Ranorex (even in trial mode), make sure that Chrome is instrumented with Ranorex plugin and that Ranorex plugin is enabled and working. Basically, if plugin is installed correctly, Spy should be able to see DOM.
Last edited by odklizec on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Ibiebln

Post by Ibiebln » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:46 pm

hi,
that is great, thank you, tomorow i will contact the admins of the company to install the plugins
I hope soon to get an answer from ranorex