Not able to Add new Repository Ranorex 6.0

Ask general questions here.
subodh4u7

Not able to Add new Repository Ranorex 6.0

Post by subodh4u7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 am

Hi,

I am facing problem in adding new Repository in Ranorex 6.0.1.

Please find the Attached screen shot.
1. Under Folder MYREPO, I am trying to Add new Repository called RepoHelloWeb
2. Please find the error screenshot - RepositoryError.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Subodh

jma

Re: Not able to Add new Repository Ranorex 6.0

Post by jma » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Could it be that the installation folder of Ranorex Studio or the corresponding solution is located on a network drive? I would recommend locating all relevant files on your local machine. Furthermore, please create a completely new solution and try adding a repository file. Did you have this issue only once or does it occur every time you add a new repository?

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:00 pm

If you are using a network share:

Ranorex does not support being installed on, or having solutions/projects loaded from, a network drive. The documentation clearly explains this and the Ranorex team has said numerous times that this is the case. It will cause issues.

You must install Ranorex locally.

You must keep local copies of all Ranorex projects and solutions.

If you have issues with multiple users needing to edit the same solution then you need to be using a Version Control or Code Versioning System such as Git or Subversion. In my opinion you should be doing this anyway even if you are the only developer (I do) as it will save you from some very very serious issues in the long run.

Note, I called you a developer, because you are developing a .NET-based application, which test other applications, using the Ranorex framework. You are a software developer, even if you only use the record and play-back portions of Ranorex. You need to treat your Ranorex projects just like any other software development project.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

subodh4u7

Post by subodh4u7 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:36 am

Hi,

I have installed ranorex locally and all the project/solution is in local drive only.

I have tried creating new solution and creating/adding new repository, but still the same issue.

I see this problem only with Ranorex 6.0
Please help.
Regards,
Subodh

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Hello Subodh,

Unfortunately, we are not aware of such an issue. I would recommend doing a clean re-install of Ranorex:
  • • Completely uninstall Ranorex
    • Reboot your machine
    • Install latest Ranorex version, currently Ranorex 6.0.1
Furthermore, please ensure you have read/write access within the location where your Ranorex projects are stored.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Robert

subodh4u7

Post by subodh4u7 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks for the response.

I have uninstalled, rebooted and re-install Ranorex 6.0.1.

Here the redefined scenarios which i came across:
1. Create new Test solution
2. By default Repository will be created.
3. Right click on Repository and open with, Add 64-bit Ranorex spy and set as default
4. Now try to add new repository error is being thrown.

Ranorex randomly tries to add folder as mentioned in the screenshot.

When I perform above steps with 32-bit Ranorex spy set as default, its working fine.

I tried with older version as well say Ranorex 5.4.4, 5.4.3 and observed the same problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Subodh

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Hello Subodh,

Thank you for the information.

I was now able to reproduce the issue and I added an entry to our internal bug-tracking system. We will try to fix the bug as soon as possible. For now, please set the default program to "RxObjectRepository", whenever you add a new repository to your solution.

Currently, we do not know if and when this bug fix will be implemented. This depends on various factors. Nevertheless, all reported bugs and feature requests are documented in the release notes, with every new version release of Ranorex

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Sincerely,
Robert