Not able to identify objects in PDF using Ranorex

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
kulwinder

Not able to identify objects in PDF using Ranorex

Post by kulwinder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 am

Hi,

I have a .pdf file, where i need to identify objects within the pdf and compare the values with the UI. the issue is, I am not able to identify the objects in PDF. While tracking, i am only getting one big square. I had already checked the all settings for pdf and it is fine.

After tracking the pdf file, i am only getting the

element[@class='AVL_AVView' and @instance='0']/element[@class='AVL_AVView' and @instance='0']/element[@class='AVL_AVView' and @instance='0']/element[@class='AVL_AVView' and @instance='0']/element[@class='AVL_AVView' and @instance='0']/element/element/element/element[@class='AVL_AVView' and @instance='0']

How i can identify the elements in pdf using ranorex 7.1?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.59 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

McTurtle

Re: Not able to identify objects in PDF using Ranorex

Post by McTurtle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello kulwinder,

Have you also made the entire document readable? In Adobe Acrobat Reader go to "Edit"->"Accessibility"->"Change reading options" and make sure "Read the entire document" is selected. Does it help?

How the PDF is represented depends on how it was created (which software) and how it is displayed (browser, reader,...). How Ranorex is able to recognize the elements in the PDF file depends on both of the mentioned factors.

Have you already tried to open the PDF in Firefox and look for the elements there? We have had the best experience when opening PDF files in Firefox when automating with Ranorex.

Regards,
McTurtle

Florent

Post by Florent » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Ranorex Version : 5.2.4.23988
I use Ranorex to validate PDF files since a long time
Last week acrobat reader dc moved from version 17.012.20098 to version 2018.009.20044
since this update, the GDI technology that allowed Ranorex to convert PDF content in rawtext element seems to not work anymore
Do you confirm it ? how to retrieve the right Ranorex behaviour ?
Last edited by Florent on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Florent

Post by Florent » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:10 am

i find a strange workaround :
1- i open a PDF file : the Ranorex spy can't access to the knowed rawtext elements
2- i click on Edition / Preferences...
3- without change anything on Preferences form, i click on "ok"
=> the Ranorex spy can access to the knowed rawtext elements

open the Preferences form without change anything is like an unlocking for Ranorex

i have to add these steps to all my Ranorex modules that validate PDF files. do you encounter the same behavior ? is there a cleaner solution ?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm

As has been said several times, you NEED to update to a supported version. 5.4.2 cannot be guaranteed to work correctly with new versions of Adobe products (or any other product). Updating ensures that new versions of third-party frameworks and products are supported. Any issues you have with new versions of the products will not be fixed in 5.4.2 and there will likely be no workarounds available if you ever get to a point where it just won't work.

Until you update, you shouldn't expect any meaningful help on this forum because only 7.1.3 and 7.2.1 are currently supported and the vast majority of us do not use anything older than that any longer.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

iknight

Post by iknight » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 am

Hi, just wanted to add that this is the same in the latest version of Ranorex and PDF reader.

Quite odd that opening the Preferences and clicking OK reveals a lot more information in the PDF to Ranorex.

Any help on understanding why this happens would be great

ninaddande

Post by ninaddande » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:47 pm

I have experienced the same. However in new version of Adobe i.e. 2018.011.20055 object identification is different than older version. Earlier we have identified object as Table and its cells. Now with new version of Adobe I cant see the same structure and all the object are being identified as raw text. This change is breaking my test cases. Could any one please suggest.