Not Able to Run Test Case On iOS Using Appium Endpoint

Ask general questions here.
Gowtham

Not Able to Run Test Case On iOS Using Appium Endpoint

Post by Gowtham » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 am

Hi,

I'm not able to run the test case on iOS device.

The steps I have followed,

=> I have recorded a script on Windows 8.1 IE. I'm trying to run the script on iPad which is connected via USB.

=> I have configured Appium webdriver endpoint.

=> I have added JSON capabilities with respect to the iPad.

=> The Appium server is on running state.

=> When I try to run the script through Appium I'm getting an error.

=> How to run the test case on iPad through Appium from Windows? Am I going in the right path?

Thanks & Regards,
Gowtham.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Not Able to Run Test Case On iOS Using Appium Endpoint

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, running tests via appium (and on real device) is not so easily doable. This requires some appium modifications and I believe also Mac computer with xcode installed? See this document:
http://appium.io/docs/en/drivers/ios-xc ... l-devices/

May I ask you, why you cannot run your Ranorex tests directly on iPad? I mean, what exactly do you want to achieve with webdriver/appium? Running web-based tests on iPad's Safari?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Gowtham

Post by Gowtham » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 am

Hi odklizec,

Thanks for the reply :D
odklizec wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 pm
May I ask you, why you cannot run your Ranorex tests directly on iPad? I mean, what exactly do you want to achieve with webdriver/appium? Running web-based tests on iPad's Safari?
=> We managed to run the test case on iPad's RxBrowser. But the target is to run the test case on Safari browser and not on RxBrowser.

=> Yes. The goal is to run the web-based tests on iPad's Safari browser. Is it possible to achieve this from Windows machine with Ranorex 8.3.1. Can we achieve this without Mac?

=> On Ranorex forum they claim that test cases can be run on Native browsers(Including Safari). What do they really mean? It is possible only via Mac and Appium installed on it? And I read that Ranorex can not be installed on Mac? So somehow I need to connect Mac from Windows. OK. Assuming that Appium is set and running on Mac. Now how do I bring the script recorded from Ranorex on Windows to the Mac where Appium is running. How to run it on real iOS(iPad) device? :?

=> I am desperately looking for a step by step guide document to achieve this from Windows machine. I would highly appreciate it if you could help me with any guide document or any kind of hint is also highly welcomed :)

Thanks & Regards,
Gowtham.

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:24 am

hey Gowtham,

It should be possible to execute tests in Safari on iOS devices using Appium. From Ranorex you can connect to the Appium Server and trigger your tests.
So, generally you should first ensure you can reach your device and recognize elements with Appium itself.
Afterwards, you can bring in Ranorex.
As far as I know, Ranorex only supports connecting to your Appium server and as soon as you can automate a device with Appium itself, you should also be able to execute a test with Ranorex over Appium.

So, what you will have to do now:
1. Make sure that Appium itself works and you are able to connect to your device and recognize elements in a Safari browser.
2. Afterwards you can set up a new webdriver endpoint in Ranorex and connect to the up and running Appium Server

regards, qwertzu

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am

Hi,

From the Appium docs, it looks as if testing web pages on Safari and real iOS devices is supported. It just requires some things to be set first:
http://appium.io/docs/en/writing-runnin ... index.html
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration