Number of instances of Ranorex on same machine?

Ask general questions here.
Eamonn

Number of instances of Ranorex on same machine?

Post by Eamonn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Is it possible to have two different releases of Ranorex on the same machine and run solutions on one revision and different solutions on the other revision? I'm currently successfully running Ranorex 7.1.3 solutions. I wish to update to Ranorex 8 for a new project. This will allow me to convince the client to upgrade all his machines to Ranorex 8. However, while I complete the solution on Ranorex 8 I need to have the capability to maintain the existing solutions using Ranorex 7.1 .
Is there licensing issue involved? Do I need two licences for the same machine?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Number of instances of Ranorex on same machine?

Post by odklizec » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 am

Hi,

I know it was possible to install the beta version of Ranorex 8 along with 7.x, but I'm not quite sure about the release version? Anyway, once the Ranorex 7 solution is loaded in Ranorex 8, it's no longer loadable in Ranorex 7. However, this should not be a problem for you, because you should always have a working copy of your solution stored in some kind of source control management SW (GIT, TFS, SVN, etc...). Additionally, Ranorex 8 creates a zipped version of old solution during the conversion process. So you should always be able to load it in previous version.

As for the license question, if your Ranorex 7 license is still within the maintenance period (typically one year since the date of purchase), you should not have a problem running Ranorex 8 or even multiple instances of Ranorex on the same machine. If Ranorex 8 fails to load and requesting new license key, then your existing license is most probably expired. You can easily check your license status from Ranorex start page:
startpage.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Eamonn

Re: Number of instances of Ranorex on same machine?

Post by Eamonn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Thank you odklizec for your reply.