Object properties changes

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
Kumar

Object properties changes

Post by Kumar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi,

I am using working on 3.3.01 for automating SharePoint info paths.

The application is undergoing changes and each element is identified with an unique id which changes if any object is added or removed from the form. This problem is when i am working by adding the objects using DOM.

But when i try to work on the object which i add from browse keeping a Root, objects are identified by their label which make it more consistent here the problem is these script does not work with IE not even the object get highlighted :(

Need help in the queries:

1) Why do the objects which are added from firefox (with application browse) as root does not get identified in IE
2) None of the objects are identified in IE which application set as Root. Am i missing something here?
3) How to handle the changes if the unique id is changing?
For eg: Text box identified with ID "FormControl_V1_I1_T23" is changed to "FormControl_V1_I1_T24" if a text box is added before that in the form.

I have attached four snapshots:
1) From the Dom (IE)
2) From the Dom (FF)
3) From Firefox
4) From IE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Object properties changes

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Hello Kumar,

With which rooted element did you add the elements to the repository?
If the beginning of the path is "/form[@title~'^CodeList\ -\ MCL10\ -\ Mozill']" elements in IE cannot be found because they have another path e.g.: /form[@title~'^CodeList\ -\ MCL10\ -\ Window']/...

Please try to add the elements with the dom object as root.
e.g.: /dom[@domain='rdtest.gsk.com']

Regards,
Bernhard
Ranorex Support Team

Kumar

Post by Kumar » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 am

Hi,

Yes, i have been working with adding objects from dom... I had three queries in my post :)

But the problem is i can add objects from IE only from DOM not from browser..is this a defect or i am missing something here?

The problem with working with DOM objects is in the AUT that the unique id which is available will change if there is any change in the form (addition/removing of any control)

It would be easy and stable if i can work on the script with objects added from browser.

To answer to your first point on the path, it should work if i use regular expression isn't it?

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello Kumar,

It is not recommended to use MSAA elements (browser as root) because these elements are not browser independent.
What you can do is to disable the setting "Enable search by unique ID" in General Settings and take another attribute to identify the elements.

Regards,
Bernhard
Ranorex Support Team