One Excel process per Excel DataSource?

Bug reports.
cknopp

One Excel process per Excel DataSource?

Post by cknopp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

hi,

i am not sure but i think that since updating to Version 5.1.2 i have some kind of performance problem. When i open our Ranorex project the TestSuite hangs for a while. In Windows Taskmanager you can see that for every Excel DataSource one Excel process was opened (+1). We have 20+ Excel DataSources in our project so the Taskmanager is full of Excel processes. I have tried to create a new Solution with the same result (#Excel Tasks = # Excel DataSource +1).

It could be possible that we will have around 100 Excel files in our Project which means about 700 MB memory usage only by Excel processes (7 MB per process). If that's the correct Ranorex behaviour we have to rethink our whole Ranorex project :D.

Regards
Chris

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: One Excel process per Excel DataSource?

Post by Support Team » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Hello cknopp,

Unfortunately it is necessary to open one Excel process for each excel file which is connected to a test case. Concerning the performance issue when opening the Ranorex Test Suite you can try to disable the setting "Auto-Load Data on Test Suite Opening" within the "Manage Data Sources" dialog.

I hope this is a suitable workaround for you.

Regards,
Bernhard

cknopp

Post by cknopp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:43 pm

hi Bernhard,

thanks for your adivce. I didn't know this new option. Now the TestSuite opens fast again. But what is the advantage letting this option activated?

Regards
cknopp

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi cknopp,

If Ranorex loads the excel file at the beginning the values are available immediately when you access the data connector. If this option is disabled the values will be loaded at the moment you try to access them. So it will take longer to open, for example the data binding dialog because the values have to be loaded first.

Regards,
Bernhard