One out four agents starts execution but shows idle status

Bug reports.
mykola

One out four agents starts execution but shows idle status

Post by mykola » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm

One out four agents starts execution, but shows idle status.
Ranorex 7.0.0
Ranorex Remote Agent-2.0.4

I have 4 Ranorex Agents installed on 4 Windows 8.1 Panasonic tablets. Tablets are identical and windows restored from singe master Ghost image (all settings the same), connected to the same Wi-Fi with disabled firewall. Also DNS settings on tablets with Agents configured manually in order to work with our server (see screenshot).
When I start tests on agents one out four agents starts execution but status shows as Idle. I also tried replace that Panasonic tablet with 2 different ones, but agent also showing as Idle when actually executing a test.
Machine from which test on Agents started, is a desktop Windows 8.1 connected to the same network but via Ethernet cable with disabled firewall DNS settings obtained automatically. In summary no matter which combination of 4 devices I use for remote execution, one agent always will show as Idle.
Please see attached screenshot, also see attached gif image, where Agent with name epos5 displays Idle right after starting a test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

McTurtle

Re: One out four agents starts execution but shows idle status

Post by McTurtle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello mykola,

Have you tried playing around with the port settings of Ranorex Agent?

In "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex\Agent\Data" on each client machine there is a file named "config.toml". You can set the port number there.

If you change it, then you must later also set the port when adding the Ranorex Agent to Ranorex Studio. You can do this by adding the port to the IP address: <computername/IP>:<portnumber>

Please let me know if this worked.

Regards,
McTurtle

mykola

Post by mykola » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi McTurtle, finally had time to play with ports you suggested, but still cannot make it work, I tried to change ApiPort but Ranorex studio still cannot find it (see screenshot). Is there a specific range of port numbers I should use? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:47 am

Hello mykola,

You must only check that the port is free in your network, as far as I know there is no other special limitations. I would suggest changing the port only on 1-2 agents, not on all of them.

I am sorry, I have put it in a bit confusing way. I meant <computername OR IP>:<portnumber>, you have put both into the string, it should be one or the other. In your case:

eGS7562:8765

or

10.25.39.18:8765

Let me know if it worked.

Regards,
McTurtle

mykola

Post by mykola » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks a lot McTurtle, changed port on 2 devices and now all 4 devices showing test execution status. :D
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Tue May 02, 2017 7:15 am

Hello mykola,

Great to hear that my suggestion helped.

If you have any other questions, the forum community is always ready to help :)

Regards,
McTurtle

mykola

Post by mykola » Tue May 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi McTurtle,
Unfortunately issue appeared again, changing port no longer helping. Currently 2 of of four devices showing Idle after test execution started. If I reopen Ranorex studio those a agent will display "Executing..." even if the test case failed, but if I reopen studio again it will display that test case failed. It appears that studio can only communicate with Agents once while reopening it. I installed Ranorex 7.0.1 on all machines, maybe it has something to do with it.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Wed May 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello mykola,

Hmmm... Is there something that would would keep you from assigning an own port to each Ranorex Agent?
What happens if your do that?

Regards,
McTurtle

mykola

Post by mykola » Thu May 04, 2017 4:29 pm

I did assigned individual ports to each agent. Also noticed that is working fine at night, when office is empty. I think It maybe our wi-fi network, sometimes wi-fi becomes slow during video conferences.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 am

Hello mykola,

In my opinion the next step could be to set up some logging to monitor the port traffic and see if there is something else also jumping in on the port. I have found this article on Superuser.com: https://superuser.com/questions/99039/a ... rom-win-pc

Let me know if you found something.

Reagrds,
McTurtle

mykola

Post by mykola » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi all, finally found solution to this issue. First I was thinking that is due to bad wi-fi, so I connected all 4 tablets with Ethernet to USB adapters, it didn't work. Then tried to mess with ports as was suggested, but also no luck. This week I had to move all devices under the test and PC from which I'm starting test on clients, to single room (before they were in different corners of the office), so I connected all of them to a single 8 Ethernet switch and everything is working fine now. I'm guessing maybe our firewall was blocking connections or something like that. I hope it will help someone to avoid trouble I had.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions