"Open report after execution" does not work

Bug reports.
sauer-peters

Re: "Open report after execution" does not work

Post by sauer-peters » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Support Team,
I replied to this post a quite long time ago. I was off the automation project for more then a year. Last week I came back into the project, installed Ranorex 3.3.4 (because my colleagues decided not to update to version 4 back then) and tried to get the test suite running again on my new computer. I was pretty upset when I recognized the old problem again that the reports do NOT open automatically after running a test suite or module in Studio. My colleagues are using the same test suite, the same Ranorex version 3.3.4 and strangly enough it works fine for them. So, it seeems to be a problem that is NOT related to report changes in version 4 or later.
The checkbox to show the reports after execution is ticked. And: Showing the report automatically also works on my computer if I create a completly new project in 3.3.4.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sebastian

PS: Some additional information.
- I also installed RnX Studio 5.0.1 and it was the same problem. No automatical reoprt showing after execution.
- The report is there. I can open it from disk by double-clicking the report file.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 am

Hello sauer-peters,

Unfortunately, we are not aware of any similar issues since this bug should be fixed within our version 4.0.2.
May I ask if it’s possible for you to create a small sample project which illustrates this behavior? Please upload it directly to our forum or send it to [email protected]

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Robert

sauer-peters

Post by sauer-peters » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi,
because this problem does not occure when I start a completly new project it might be difficult to send you a demo project. I first have to find out which part/feature/speciality of my current project triggers this behaviour. If I find the time to do so I will try to copy and strip down my current project step by step to narrow down the root cause.

It's a virtual machine where the report does not open. I'm now working directly on the host system and it works fine. Is it possible that this is related to VMs?

- Sebastian

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Sebastian,

Unfortunately, we do not exactly know what is causing this issue on your machine. There are no other customers facing similar issues. Since it’s working on newly created solution we assume that it is somehow linked to your “old” solution. Is Ranorex able to open the report after executing a newly created test on your VM as well?

Regards,
Robert

keith

Post by keith » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:25 pm

It's not a big deal but I have a similar issue when executing tests from Ranorex Studio. The behavior is as follows.
If I execute tests from a Test Suite using Ranorex Studio, sometimes the report is opened automatically after the test is completed as expected. Other times the report is not opened automatically AND the report is not listed under reports in the Solution tree. The only way to access the report is to (1) right click on the solution - reports - open folder in explorer or even better (2) to refresh the solution using the refresh button

Ranorex Studio 4.1.5.17134
.NET Runtime Version 4.0.30319.18408
MS Windows 7 Enterprise
6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601

Cheers,
Keith
Cheers,
keith

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Please update Ranorex to the newest version (5.2.1) and see if that fixes the issue.

Update using a clean install:

1. Uninstall the current version of Ranorex.
2. Reboot the system.
3. Install Ranorex 5.2.1.

Is this happening on the same test or different tests (i.e., is one test working and another isn't)?
Also, are you renaming the report or otherwise manipulating the path (such as specifying the path at the command line)?
Shortcuts usually aren't...

JToelstede

Post by JToelstede » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi together,

we had the same problem with some solutions but maybe we found a reason for that.

After this problem occurs in one of our solutions, we tried to reproduce what happend.
We created a new TestSuite in the solution where this problem occurs and copied a testcase from the testsuite where no report is opened after a testrun. We than started the new testsuite and after execution the report open up.
We compared the configuration of both testsuites but we could not find any differences. After that we compared the properties of the projects. We could find out that on the "Debug"-Tab the start option "working directory" was set to the home directory of the AUT at the project where the report did not open anymore and in the other project it wasn't set.

We first could not belief that this property could cause this problem but than we deleted the value of working directory and the report opened after the test.

I created an example project were you could reproduce it.
notepad.zip
Update: It is possible to start the AUT with a working directory from usercode or a codemodule if the working directory have to be set:

Code: Select all

string aut = @"C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe";
string autworkingdir = @"C:\Windows\System32\";
Host.Local.RunApplication(aut, "", autworkingdir);
The report will open after a testrun. The codemodule is not included in the excample-project.

We are currently using Ranorex 5.2.1.20895 but we we want to update to 5.3 in the coming months.

Hope it could help.

Best regards and have a nice weekend
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

csqepaul

Post by csqepaul » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:17 pm

We upgraded to 5.3.1 and things were working fine. But yesterday the Reports stopped working and no reports are being placed into the Reports folder for any projects. I created a new solution and tried again, but that didn't produce any reports in the Reports folder either. I completely uninstalled Ranorex, deleted the user App data, and removed the Chrome/Ranorex extension as well. Reinstalled, created a new project, and tried again. Still no Reports being placed in the reports folder. My next step is to install an older version of Ranorex and try again.

csqepaul

Post by csqepaul » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 pm

After loading an older version (5.0.1.17706) the reports are now back and the Report Viewer works as expected. I will now try to update Ranorex to the latest version to see if the issue returns.

csqepaul

Post by csqepaul » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:31 pm

After getting the report viewer working with an older version, updating to version 5.3.1.22939, the failure with the Reports is back. I will now try version 5.3.0.

csqepaul

Post by csqepaul » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Installing version 5.1.2.19431 appears to be OK with the reports being placed in the solution Reports folder and the Report Viewer appearing with the report contents when the test completes. I am not sure what the cause of this is, but it looks like the earlier bug has been reintroduced into the Ranorex code. I also installed version 5.3.1.22939 over the older version that was working, and now the Reporting is again broken. Went back to version 5.2.3.22439 and the Reports work fine again.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:29 pm

I do not have this issue with 5.3.1.

Could you create a sample solution that demonstrates the issue? Just create a new solution and add a Report action in the Recording1.rxrec file. Then put the Recording1.rxrec module in the test case and run the suite.

If you create a new solution and it works correctly than the issue is probably in your other solution, not a problem with Ranorex. If it doesn't work, please post it so the Ranorex team can look at it.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

csqepaul

Post by csqepaul » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Completely removed Ranorex from my Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit system. Installed version 5.3.2. Created new solution. Added Report.Failure("Ouch!"); to the default Recording1.UserCode.cs Init() method. Built and ran the solution. The ReportViewer failed to launch and failed to copy the report to the projects Report folder (didn't even create the Reports folder).
Completely removed Ranorex. Installed version 5.2.4. Created new solution. Added Report.Failure("Ouch!"); to the default Recording1.UserCode.cs Init() method. Built and ran the solution. Reports folder was generated, ReportViewer launched and displayed the report.
Attached failing solution in zip format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

afleitas
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by afleitas » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Hello,

I'm currently running 5.3.2, I downloaded the provided zip, extract and ran the testcase from :

1. The Suite
2. The TestCase
3. The individual recording module

The report generated 9/9 times I ran it.

Can you verify Ranorex is not installed on a network location or is your project hosted on a network location?

Additionally, please check your output folder to verify if there are any newly created reports in there. This folder can be found by right-clicking the project and selecting the “Open Output Folder”.

Verify you have the correct admin rights to the output folder of your solution.

csqepaul

Post by csqepaul » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I can verify that Ranorex is only installed locally and the project is local as well. I clicked on the project and selected the output folder (image of folder is attached). The report documents are there. The solution tree image shows no indication that there are any files under the Reports node in the solution tree (also attached). The report viewer did not launch when the test completed.